DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old June 26th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #1
Trustee

FCP X needs work but has potential

After playing around with it for a while I can see where it would fit into my editing arsenal although it pretty much is i-moive (thats not a dig) but need real authoring and at least multi-cam. One question though, when I import AVCHD files what and where is it converting them too. Am I really editing native or is it converting them somwhere in the background?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

re: FCP X needs work but has potential

it's editing native. If you have FCPX set to copy files on import, the default location appears to be Users/<current_user>/Movies/Final Cut Events/<event name>/Original Media/. From what I can tell, FCPX is scrubbing through those files with no further rendering, and is astonishingly fast at it.
Terence Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Trustee

o.k. I must have something set because after playing around a bit I tried to close FCP and get a warning about render projects currently going on.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 04:29 AM   #4
Inner Circle

In the preferences there is a checkbox where you can choose to use optimalized media, so then it transcodes. Otherwise, it works with the native media.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #5
Trustee

Re: FCP X needs work but has potential

The only thing I haven't figured out yet, is if you tell FCPX to convert the footage, and it does. Then why does the imported footage in my Event still appear to be h.264?

I can see the converted files in the converted media folder in my Events folder, but the h.264 footage still appears in FCPX in the even itself.
Old June 29th, 2011, 03:36 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I really hope I'll be able to adjust the font-size in the UI... Way too big and fat fonts makes it look bad. Otherwise I like it so far.
Henrik Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 03:47 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
The only thing I haven't figured out yet, is if you tell FCPX to convert the footage, and it does. Then why does the imported footage in my Event still appear to be h.264?

I can see the converted files in the converted media folder in my Events folder, but the h.264 footage still appears in FCPX in the even itself.
That's because Events is your Media Library. Your original clips are stored & not converted or changed in any way.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X