DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old July 14th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #46
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Re: Adobe offers 50% off CS5.5 to Final Cut Pro customers

You can order the Adobe promotion directly from Videoguys. for $849. No special code required

Make the switch to Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium at Videoguys.com and save 50%

We also have some fantastic bundles with blu-ray burner, Matrox & AJA I/O and training.

Gary
Old July 14th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #47
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bettan View Post
You can order the Adobe promotion directly from Videoguys. for $849. No special code required

Make the switch to Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium at Videoguys.com and save 50%

We also have some fantastic bundles with blu-ray burner, Matrox & AJA I/O and training.

Gary
Thanks Gary for the info and keep up the good work!

I know you will disagree but I highly suggest staying away from Matrox products for use with Adobe because I have had bad experience after bad experience with their Mini and its software, not to mention Matrox's flat out lie about their color calibration tool.

However, I highly recommend Aja and partially recommend BlackMagic Design's Decklink Extreme 3D as I have several of these cards in 2 computers. Two are in a server for broadcast playout and one is in my HP Z800 but I am going to remove it soon and replace with an Aja Kona due to issues with Premiere Pro CS5 causing PPro to hang. One of my favorite features with the BM and Kona and Premiere is being able to play out to my monitor using only the little thumbnail at the top of the project window rather than having to open it into the Source window. However, BM's software is not great and I continually have lockups when doing this.

Also, I sometimes have issues with BM preset sequences so I use my custom sequences and BM still works, although partially. What I do is open the current sequence into the Source window, which still plays out to my monitor and then I gang source to program.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #48
Major Player

Just gone and made the jump. A whole heap of money out of the bank account but at least it's half price.
Old July 14th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #49
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knaggs View Post
Thanks, Steve. But I would never buy a Matrox product again after my experience with the Matrox MXO.

Hence my question about whether it's possible to hook up a NVIDIA card externally through Thunderbolt.

Anybody know?
Good news is that Sony is the first to release an external GPU connected thru LightPeak aka Thunderbolt to work with their VAIO Z series. However, Sony's Z pricing is a bit high, BUT this shows that manufacturers understand that a market exists for external GPUs via LP/TB.
Old July 15th, 2011, 01:09 AM   #50
Inner Circle

Having been a prior user of Premiere, and still owning my Premiere Pro 2.0 program, I tried to go the upgrade path for CS5.5, hoping after that to get half off the upgrade price. I took it all the way down to the last button, but was never given the opportunity to enter the "switch" code.
Old July 15th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Having been a prior user of Premiere, and still owning my Premiere Pro 2.0 program, I tried to go the upgrade path for CS5.5, hoping after that to get half off the upgrade price. I took it all the way down to the last button, but was never given the opportunity to enter the "switch" code.
When I ordered mine last night it was a small box in the final shopping cart before you press order. That was the UK store though.

Nice to see Adobe offered me physical media option (which I have ordered). Not everyone lives in a glass dome in Cupertino with a fibre connection
Old July 15th, 2011, 05:36 AM   #52
Wrangler

Quote:
My understanding is that you have to choose one or the other path, an upgrade from a previous version of Adobe software, OR a full version purchase using the switch code to cross-grade from FCP. Looking at PPro on the Adobe site, the price is $399 for either path.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #53
Inner Circle

My upgrade path from Premiere Pro 2.0, to CS 5.5 was $ 1,099.00. I was hoping 50% off would apply to that. I do want to get into After Effects, so that is why I was looking to go that route.
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #54
Inner Circle

Quote:
My upgrade path from Premiere Pro 2.0, to CS 5.5 was $ 1,099.00. I was hoping 50% off would apply to that. I do want to get into After Effects, so that is why I was looking to go that route.
Chris you appear eligible for the VideoGuys 50% $849 offer as it says

If you own any version of Apple Final Cut Pro or Avid Media Composer - or you have an existing copy of Adobe Premiere, Premiere Pro, After Effects or a CS3 Design, Web or Production Suite - you qualify for 50% off the full version of Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium for Mac or Windows...
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #55
Wrangler

So it sounds like what you want to do is upgrade from that very old version of PPro to the current Production Suite Premium? So yeah, looks like through the Adobe store it would be the $1099 you quote, which I know isn't chump change for us small business and hobbyist types. But it is still $600 off the regular price, not to mention special deals like Videoguys.

I think once you've made the leap and gotten up and running, you'll feel that it was good value for dollar. As I've said before, Adobe has had their low points but they're sitting high on the mountain now. From being ready to jump ship some years ago -- as many of the FCP folks are now doing -- I'm extremely pleased with CS5 and 5.5.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #56
Inner Circle

What I am actually looking to do is incorporate After Effects in my Vegas workflow, and I was hoping that by use of my prior purchase of Premiere Pro 2 and this offer, I could afford to to it.

Frankly, after further testing of the Premiere workflow edit process in the latest trial version ( which really hasn't changed a lot since Pro 2) I don't want to leave Vegas. However, having the whole suite on board for special needs at half price is very alluring, and something I am still considering.
Old July 16th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #57
Trustee

Quote:
What I am actually looking to do is incorporate After Effects in my Vegas workflow, and I was hoping that by use of my prior purchase of Premiere Pro 2 and this offer, I could afford to to it.

Frankly, after further testing of the Premiere workflow edit process in the latest trial version ( which really hasn't changed a lot since Pro 2) I don't want to leave Vegas. However, having the whole suite on board for special needs at half price is very alluring, and something I am still considering.
Hi Chris,

Because you want to use AE, I really believe that you would find the Premiere and AE combo to be far more satisfying that a Vegas + AE combo due to Dynamic Link and not needing to render your AE comps. Just yesterday, I spent about 2 hours updating a single Photoshop PSD, then opening AE and seeing the PSD file automatically updated in AE and then updating 25 comps which use this PSD and its layers, and then automatically seeing the updated AE comps in Premiere. Without Adobe's great integration between its programs and Dynamic Link, this entire process would have taken me all day rather than 2 hours.

Once you start using Dynamic Linked AE comps in Premiere, you find yourself using this feature more and more, and it adds value to projects because you can do more, experiment with more looks faster and easier and create better animations, grade better (as AE is a powerful grading tool) and make better titles.
Old July 16th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #58
Inner Circle

Does anyone know if a US license will work in Europe, and it will install updates fine? (Not upgrades, updates)

Thanks,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 10:47 PM   #59
Major Player

Are there specific video tutorials on "PPro for FCP editors"? I noticed that there is a set of Avid tutorials called "Avid Media Composer for Final Cut Pro Users". Does anyone know if there's something similar for PPro?

Of particular interest to me would be tutorials on how to import your FCP keyboard shortcuts into PPro plus any differences in the basic workaday features (3 way color corrector, adjusting sound levels, etc.). I know that lynda.com has PPro training to take you from the start. But I was also wondering if there were PPro tutorials anywhere which are specific to FCP editors. Thanks.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 12:57 AM   #60
Major Player

Adobe Premiere Pro Tutorial Videos - Final Cut Pro To Adobe Premiere Pro Tips| PhotoshopSupport.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X