DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Tell me what is GOOD about FCP X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/498734-tell-me-what-good-about-fcp-x.html)

Bill Edmunds July 22nd, 2011 11:25 AM

Tell me what is GOOD about FCP X

Man, I've been out of the loop for a while, I guess! All I read about FCP X is about how awful it is and how it stripped out many of the great features of FCP 7 (multiclip, etc). So tell me: what is better about FCP X than FCP 7? Surely there must be a few things...

Evan Lloyd July 22nd, 2011 12:04 PM

Re: Tell me what is GOOD about FCP X

Long story short, it helps you get your work done faster and more efficiently. Download it and put in the time learning it. Once you do, you'll start to see the benefits. People hate change, don't believe all the anti hype.

Jason Burkhimer July 22nd, 2011 12:20 PM

1. Loaded with USABLE sound and video effects, title and transition generators
2. background rendering.
3. audio/video analysis on ingest for fix of rolling shutter, stabilization, color matching, crappy audio
4. optical flow w/speed ramp. (twixtor style slow/fast time remapping (decent now depending on footage, but room to improve)
5. good color correction tools.
6. fast output.

timeline is not bad when you readjust to workflow and shortcuts. turn off skimmer!(personal pref)

The biggest group of complainers are old codger editors that think anything different sucks. That is not to say that all of the gripes are unfounded. I can see frustration about no fcp7 import. various project sharing and export options, and currently no multicam.

Personally, my biggest gripe, beside the program being a touch unstable with this first release, is the inability to import native mts files from my sony fs100. Currently using clipwrap to get around the issue(50 dollar program unless you keep all of your clips under a minute, in which you could get away with the demo)

I think Apple hit a home run, honestly, and when people come around and they drop a couple updates, FCX is going to really be a hit.

-burk

Jason Burkhimer July 22nd, 2011 12:28 PM

...and oh yea, PRICE!! 299.99!!!

The best thing about this program is what I posted in the first couple of items in my list. The inclusion of great "looks" effects and color correction tools, eliminates the need to purchase Magic Bullet stuff(or other style grading software). The inclusion of an absolute buttload of sound effects (greatly, but not totally) eliminates the need to peruse royalty free audio clip shops. The optical flow time remapping is a very nice alternative to Twixtor, so you can save money there.

The point is, it does so much for an already great price point, and eliminates the need to spend extra money for plugins.

This is the way I feel anyway for my situation

-burk

Bill Edmunds July 22nd, 2011 12:54 PM

Tell me more about the color correction and video effects/filters. How are they an improvement over FCP 7?

What about compositing? Can FCP X do any? I'm thinking of stuff like multiple P-in-Ps, layers, et al.

Olof Ekbergh July 22nd, 2011 01:02 PM

Hi Bill,

Stop by and I will demo it for you.

Once it gets XML i/o and AJA Matrox etc. start working it will be a great tool.

Right now it is great for new work with no need to monitor on NTSC/PAL monitors.

As you know I never liked FCP much. This is the first version I am actually considering for production. I like the Metadata based organizing and I like the Timeline a lot. I always preferred the M100 A/T/B and then supers for split L/J edits, FCPX does that and more.

BTW the new M100 is very good as well. And it is still faster no rendering.

Jason Burkhimer July 22nd, 2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds (Post 1669165)
Tell me more about the color correction and video effects/filters. How are they an improvement over FCP 7?

What about compositing? Can FCP X do any? I'm thinking of stuff like multiple P-in-Ps, layers, et al.

It comes with a lot of stylized looks(film stock emulation kinda dealies) and preset image processing(that can be modified to your taste) that you usually have to pick up as a plug in.

pic in pic and other compositing is very streamlined and very easy to use in this version.

Bill Davis July 22nd, 2011 01:34 PM

Apple just posted 4 videos under the big photo on the Final Cut Pro home page that show the thinking behind FCP-X in various core areas.

They compare the approach of FCP-X directly to Avid and Premier workflows.

Watch and decide for yourself.

Bill Edmunds July 22nd, 2011 06:52 PM

Those are very cool videos and go a long ways in showing the good points of the software. What's this about not being able to reconnect media, however?

Bill Davis July 22nd, 2011 11:34 PM

FCP-X has a pretty rigid structure as to where assets have to be located.

FCP-7 didn't really care that much. If clips or sound files or render files got moved, you could do a "reconnect media" and it would look all over hell and back to locate them and establish a fresh link.

FCP-X's data structure is NOTHING like that. Its much more powerful relational database keeps assets in very specific folder locations that are linked to the structure of that database - so assets are PART of the whole - not separate elements that float around as necessary.

For example, the simplest way to show or not show video clips in FCP-X (for example if you don't want Client A to see that you're also doing work for Client B!) you simply move Client B's asset folder out of where X expects to find it - and X will no longer display those files until you move them back to where they're expected.

Like much of the way X operates, it's just something you have to get used to.

Bart Walczak July 23rd, 2011 03:10 AM

Also, if you replace a file with another version or even change the metadata within the file outside of FCPX you will not be able to reconnect.

David Parks July 23rd, 2011 07:51 PM

The overall interface event window is really good for editing on a MacBook Pro, skimming and background rendering.Previewing effects okay. Performance is good but no better than Avid or Premiere.

BTW, the Apple comparison video on magnetic timeline vs. Avid, and FCP7 is an insult. They compare trimming 10 tracks, 3 video and 6 audio in Avid to just 3 in FCPX.(if there are more than 3 then they are nested and you cannot see them!! Which is a problem.) And the FCP 7 comparison for clip collisions makes look it like the operator in FCP 7 is either drunk or lost. And all they can say is this is new and FCP 7 Premiere and Avid are old.

Sometimes some things just cannot be improved upon and track based timelines are here to stay.It is based on the same metaphor film editors have used since 1927!!!! I am convinced that FCPX will not make a dent into the pro market until they come back with some model that resembles tracks and a timeline that doesn't assume anything.

Cheers

Bill Davis July 23rd, 2011 09:44 PM

David,

I'm honestly interested. Do you edit on FCP-X or is this just your impressions of how it looks to work from watching the demos?

Everything I've read from those who use it, none of them seem concerned that X's compound clip vertical orientation provide less flexibility than the stacked horizontal linear clips of FCP-7. Just that it's a very different way to approach the issue of multiple video assets arranged simultaneously over time.

Genuinely interested.

Shaun Roemich July 23rd, 2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Burkhimer (Post 1669154)
The biggest group of complainers are old codger editors that think anything different sucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan Lloyd (Post 1669148)
People hate change, don't believe all the anti hype.

Seriously... stop.

You are welcome to your beliefs/opinions about the workflow but DON'T be dismissive of the VERY well founded issues a number of those of us with a long history of working with the product have. Just because YOU don't NEED to open legacy projects (in my case going back to 1999 occasionally and 2005 OFTEN), doesn't mean some of us don't need to.

I'm SO TIRED of this dismissiveness toward those of us that REQUIRE things that FCPX does NOT provide. I know the argument: "Then don't update!"... I didn't... in fact, I'm currently installing FCS3 on a brand new iMac that I bought so that I could continue to edit.

The issue for a LOT of us "old codgers" is that FCP has been end-of-lined. That means NO MORE SUPPORT. THAT SUCKS. It means that new codecs and workflows that develop are possibly lost to us that REQUIRE a different workflow than FCPX currently has or promises to deliver.

It's NOT because we like to complain. It's that we are left in a VERY vulnerable position.

Hope this clears up some of the misconceptions around why some of us don't see FCPX as the best thing since sliced bread.

PS. I turn 40 a week today. Not sure if that makes me a codger or not...

Craig Seeman July 24th, 2011 01:26 AM

I am an old codger who started in the waining days of 2" dubs. I had been in post for years when I used my first NLE. The CMX6000. I started using Avid in 1989 and FCP in 2001.

I too still have to open older projects as clients come back to rebrand and change fx for reuse. I know over time this need will fade just as my edit session EDLs saved on 8" floppies along with my favorite ADO fx on 5 1/4".

Since 1989 I thought the timeline and tracks were like a musician stuck in 3/4 or 4/4 time. I had hoped that something would supplant that organization grid. To me FCPX is like free jazz.

I can stack clips and they stay with primary clip when I move it without making complex selections. I can use secondary storylines when clips above the primary need to interact with each other. I can move things freely without having to think about clip collisions. And now I have the freedom to experiment to resolve the resultant overlaps. If my brain thinks of a clip or parts thereof as multiple categories, I can tag it for each and find the clip in each collection. One moment it's a two shot, the next it's an exterior shot and next it's in the Jersey City collection as well as the material shot in the first two weeks of June.

I certainly have serious concerns about FCPX. It reminds of a grand sport stadium in which they didn't include the bathrooms and the only entrance to the mezzanine requires a walk all around the stadium. There's lots of promise in FCPX so I do hope that Apple adds the bathrooms and conveniently placed escalators. If Apple comes through, this will be a paradigm shift I welcome.

Brian Drysdale July 24th, 2011 02:20 AM

Regarding old projects... Clients can want to update old projects, the content can be valid, but it needs adjustments or updates and they don't want to spend money on a editing a completely new version. Perhaps this could be something they do every year, so the mid 1990s version may only be a percentage of the content.

It's rather like Microsoft bringing out a version of Word that can't read files from the previous versions of Word

Liam Hall July 24th, 2011 03:49 AM

Actually, the biggest group of complainers are young guys who have been brought up editing on FCP. They've not seen change before and they can't handle it.

I read one so-called expert exclaim he'd been editing for all of eight years, first on Avid then on FCP. He really thought he knew his stuff. The reality is he knew a lot about FCP7, but little outside of his limited experience.

Some of us started with sticky-tape and have moved from film to tape and on to NLEs. That experience allows for a more balanced judgement.

My own judgement is FCPX is years ahead of the competition in certain areas, but it's also years behind in other areas. I can use it on certain projects, but not all, so will run both FCPX and FCP7 for the short term. Certainly, I see know point in jumping ship to Adobe or Avid.

It's up to individuals and companies to decide if it fits their needs, but they should keep an open mind and at this price point people should download it and give it a thorough workout before making that judgement.

Jason Burkhimer July 24th, 2011 05:51 AM

You should probably re-read my post a little more thoroughly. I listed the inability to import legacy projects as a "legitimate gripe".

Cool off, old timer!(just kiddin, and no, 40 does not make you an "old codger"...I hope not, ill be there in 5.)

-burk

David Parks July 24th, 2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Davis (Post 1669532)
David,

I'm honestly interested. Do you edit on FCP-X or is this just your impressions of how it looks to work from watching the demos?

Everything I've read from those who use it, none of them seem concerned that X's compound clip vertical orientation provide less flexibility than the stacked horizontal linear clips of FCP-7. Just that it's a very different way to approach the issue of multiple video assets arranged simultaneously over time.

Genuinely interested.

Bill,

I do have FCP X that I purchased about 3 weeks ago. So, my impressions are based on both my own experience and other editors opinions that I work with out here at NASA, here in Houston, and those posted opinions like Scott Simmons and Oliver Peters. Just so you guys know I graduated with a degrtee in Film/Televisiosn from Sam Houston State in 1985. Started out as a CMX editor (CMX Edge), then migrated over to BVE 950 Sony with Betacam SP and one inch linear bay. In 1994 I partnered with a guy and bought an Avid Media Composer 1000 in 1994. As an aside, moving to non-linear editing from linear was by far more "revolutionary" than moving to FCPX from Avid.)

IF you're interested go and listen to the gentelman who beta tested Edit Droid from Lucas Film, the precurser to Avid and everything else and he wonders as I if the trackless magnetic time line is really all that flexible, he is being honest. But, here's something I encountered last night after my post.

Case in point,

Last night I play with a test sequence in which I laid a music track down as a primary storyline and started laying in video as connected clips. Then to my surprise guess what. You cannot add trasnsitions between those video clips. Why, because it appears that FCPX assumes transitions are only for the "primary storyline" Try it yourself if you don't believe me. That is something that you can do in every other edit program with tracks. No exception.

So, here is the crazy workaround I stumbled on. Add placefolder or gap at the beginning of the sequence, drag music down and move connected clips to primary storyline. That is several mouse clicks and a lot of dragging just to move music down and video to prmary to allow for transitions. In every other program, it is two mouse clicks, new tracks and that is it.

Try doing a rolling trim across 10 or tracks like Avid can and in FCPX. You cannot do it without I guess creating a bunch of compound clips. Prove me wrong, please. I'm sure some of you will say I won't ever edit 10 tracks. Well that may be true for one man shops, but not a facility setup with commercial or even sometimes corporate clients.

The basic "storyline" metaphor in FCPX assumes all of this supposed flexibility but is designed to help keep everything in sync. Which takes away flexibility, Imagine if your car decided to drive itself and assumed you would always make right turns because they are safer than left turns. You would literally drive in circles.

BTW, for all of you guys that are younger,,,and you're interested in working professionally in a day to day production company or department. I really suggest you learn Avid or Adobe Premiere,,, like now.

The future of FCPX is not written yet. And don't confuse simplicity with "simple editing" easy to use with 3 or FCPX storylines compared to editing complex sequences with lots of audio tracks and video layers that are common with professionals. If you're an FCPX editor and love it then great. But, if you're seriously want to edit and get paid a salary then you need to learn how to collaborate, learn other editing programs,,,,and yes ,,,learn from some the old codgers. Because I may be 49 punching 50, but I have adapted from editing film on a flatbed to linear tape editing to non-linear on a computer. And that was hard work and i will not take a back seat to any younger editor. I am very competitive!!!! I am learning FCPX, I know Avid MC, FCP 7, Adobe Premiere, Edius, and Vegas (somewhat). There are a lot of older editors who are at the top of the mountain editing projects with real budgets, real money, real paychecks. They don't like FCPX as a whole. We are willing to teach,,but not to those who won't listen.

Cheers. (Sorry for typos but I'm in a hurry) peace.

Ben Fullerton July 24th, 2011 01:14 PM

Hey David,
I too have noticed the inability of adding transition between connected clips. It's annoyed me, and when I was reading your post I was thinking to myself, "Apple can't possible be this stupid as to not make that possible". (I'm sure some would beg to differ...). So, I went digging to see if I could find a way to do it. It sems that X just kind of regards secondary clips as individual cutaways unless you tell it otherwise. But if you select a group of connected clips, then right click, you see an option for "Create Storyline", or just press Command-G. Which then groups them together, and makes them function more like the primary storyline. Now you can simply select the edit point between two clips and add transitions. Very easy. But what it still can't do, as far as I can tell, which I need to do right this moment, is to be able to add transitions from a connected clip, back into the primary storyline. Can't seem to find a way to do that. Still looking...

p.s. Thanks for sharing about your long career and diverse experience in many platforms of editing. It's always important in periods of major transitions in paradigms, for us "new guys" not to loose respect for the importance, knowledge and experience of the "old ways", and the "old codgers" who used them.

Cheers,

Ben

Craig Seeman July 24th, 2011 01:21 PM

David.

You have to know how FCPX works. Just select the clips on that row and hit Command G and you have Secondary Storyline. Then you have good old fashioned track with transitions etc.

I've been working with FCPX since it was released. If you understand how it works it's much more flexible than track based editing in my experience.

Connected clips have a different purpose than Secondary Storylines. Again that's something you have to understand. Connected clips are used when you need to tie the relationship to a specific clip or frame in the timeline. Secondary Storylines have only one connection point. If you try to use a screwdriver to hammer in a nail you will certainly be frustrated. Understand the tools and you understand the flexibility of the tool kit. In other NLEs I only have tracks, in FCPX I have choice.

Secondary Storylines still need some work though.
I submitted the following feedback to Apple.
Preference setting to make Secondary Storylines the default behavior.
Preference setting that makes a Connected Clip a Secondary Storyline when adding a transition or a popup box asking if you would like to make it a Secondary Storyline.
Precision Editor needs to work in Secondary Storyline (it doesn't currently).

Craig Seeman July 24th, 2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

But what it still can't do, as far as I can tell, which I need to do right this moment, is to be able to add transitions from a connected clip, back into the primary storyline. Can't seem to find a way to do that. Still looking...
Make connected clip a Secondary Storyline and add a dissolve at the end.

Alternately, Control V to show keyframe editor and use the opacity fader handle.

Pete Cofrancesco July 24th, 2011 02:04 PM

I agree with Shaun, there seems to be of late ppl sniping at anyone who hasn't embraced FCPX as an old codger. Its pretty simple if you need to open previous projects or rely on a feature that they've dropped like muli-camera mixing, then all the new stuff FCPX offers doesn't mean much.

Let's be honest, the basic method of non-linear editing hasn't changed. Professional editors don't do a lot of dragging and dropping, we use key commands because its the fastest way to work. Apple's primary intent of FCPX broaden its appeal by dumbing down the interface to iMovie drag and drop method and then added some pro features to justify paying for it.

On topic: meta tags feature is nice and I also like pinning feature to hold a clip to another.

David Parks July 24th, 2011 02:07 PM

Thanks Craig and ben. I will give it a try later tonight. Secondary Storylines.

Ben Fullerton July 24th, 2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1669708)

Alternately, Control V to show keyframe editor and use the opacity fader handle.

Thanks. I'll play with that later on!

Craig Seeman July 24th, 2011 02:35 PM

Pete, the problem is not about the missing features which people acknowledge, it's people claiming features are missing but are there. Some of them need better implementation but that's going to happen.

If it's really "dumbed down" than why do so many people not understand how it works? Actually I think it gives many more choices in some cases. Connected Clips and Secondary Storylines are one example. In other places it's unnecessarily convoluted. Try adding an audio only dissolve.

Dissolve - drag and drop or command T just like FCP7
Video only dissolve - Expand Clip then drag and drop or command T - more complex
Audio only dissolve - detach audio, make secondary storyline, drag and drop or command T - extremely complex.

Audio only dissolve should be the same ad Video only dissolve - Expand Clip.

Expand Clips gives me very good and precise control over video and audio for split edits. Much easier than FCP7.

But Expand Clips has a problem with Dual Mono Audio. I want to see both tracks displayed. Instead I have to Detach Audio to have control over the two audio channels.

So I'm well aware of issues others don't even bring up because they haven't gone that deep. I expect the above issues will be fixed in updates though. Certainly none of this is dumbing down though. It's actually unnecessary complexity.

Apple's making certain assumptions. That people doing audio crossfades will use the faders for more precise control in Expand Clips rather than wanting to simply drop in an audio only dissolve. That most people with dual mono audio will disable one of the channels (done in the Inspector) such as in Shotgun backup and Lav primary mics. Many though actually use two separate mic feeds for interviews or want to keep the shotgun for ambiance control.

All that, and I still think FCPX will be a killer, very fast, very flexible NLE as they improve this stuff.

Craig Seeman July 24th, 2011 02:43 PM

Features I like:

Conform Speed. If you have 24p timeline and drop in a p60 clip and use Conform Speed you get your slowmo. Many people shoot p60 for slowmo and you no longer need to convert AVCHD to ProRes and then reflag in Cinema Tools.

Rate Conform. Working with mixed frame rates. FCPX gives you four choices how to handle. Drop clip in timeline and go to Inspector and you have the following options:
Floor (default) truncates to nearest integer
Nearest Neighbor rounds to nearest integer, (reduces artifacts but might stutter)
Frame Blending creates in between frames by blending
Optical Flow creates frames by analyzing pixel motion to create new frames.

Craig Seeman July 24th, 2011 02:48 PM

Spatial Conform.
When working in different frame sizes files can fit the timeline frame size by either Fit, Fill, none (which doesn't try to conform to the frame size. This is good when mixing SD and HD frame sizes. FCP legacy modified the file in the motion tab but FCPX keeps this function separate from scaling (called Transform).

Craig Seeman July 24th, 2011 02:58 PM

Range Selection.
Audio level advantage. Select a range within a clip and bring down (or up ) the level. No need to create keyframes it does that for you. You can go into the keyframe editor if you'd like to change them.

Video Retime advantage. In Retiming (Command R), select a range and change the speed of the selected range. It will ramp into and out of the range. Select Optical Flow generally for best quality. Simply grab the in or out of the range and move to change the speed of the range. The one downside is there's no keyframe control over the ramp in/out.

Retiming
As noted above, it's easy to have multiple speed changes ramping in and out. Doing it as connected clip assured no rippling while work on the clip. Then decide how you want to fit in to the Primary Storyline. Downside is that there's no fit to fill although it's easy to stretch or compress to match the in/out of the Primary Storyline.

Steve Connor July 24th, 2011 04:20 PM

The very easy way to open old projects is to open them in FCP7, that's my plan. Suitable new projects are being started in FCPX and any legacy stuff continues in FCP7. It works fine in Lion and alongside FCPX and will continue to do so.

Ben Fullerton July 24th, 2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1669728)
Video Retime advantage. In Retiming (Command R), select a range and change the speed of the selected range. It will ramp into and out of the range. Select Optical Flow generally for best quality. Simply grab the in or out of the range and move to change the speed of the range. The one downside is there's no keyframe control over the ramp in/out.

Agree. I would love to have control over the length of the ramp in/out.

Brett Sherman July 26th, 2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1669708)

So, dissolves are the only effects you can use to get between secondary and primary storyline? That's pretty lame. The whole secondary, primary thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It seems like with the magnetic timeline they were trying to free us from track-based editing - which is great. However, it's all the more puzzling since by freeing us, they made a structure which is actually more limiting.

Personally, I think they should ditch the whole storyline business as I don't think it helps anyone. Why can't you just put an effect on the outgoing clip and it just transitions to the clip that is shown next regardless of position. Just like fade-out works now, but with the ability to use two-sided transitions too.

Craig Seeman July 26th, 2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett Sherman (Post 1670149)
So, dissolves are the only effects you can use to get between secondary and primary storyline? That's pretty lame. The whole secondary, primary thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It seems like with the magnetic timeline they were trying to free us from track-based editing - which is great. However, it's all the more puzzling since by freeing us, they made a structure which is actually more limiting.

Personally, I think they should ditch the whole storyline business as I don't think it helps anyone. Why can't you just put an effect on the outgoing clip and it just transitions to the clip that is shown next regardless of position. Just like fade-out works now, but with the ability to use two-sided transitions too.

Use any transition you'd like. Generally I avoid cheese though.

Connected Clips and Storylines are more flexible than tracks. Both serve different purposes though. They both maintain a relationship to what they're connected to. When I create a vertical relationship I want to maintain that relationship without having to do complex clip selection to move something. Connected clips are exclusively vertical. Storylines are both horizontal and vertical. It's extremely easy to make Connected Clips into a Storyline if desired. Select clips and Command G or hold down G and brink two Connected Clips in contact with each other (so that one can then add a transition).

Brett Sherman July 26th, 2011 03:42 PM

Right, I agree with you about cheese. But even fairly simple two-sided transitions are useful, like iris wipe or push. So are you saying if you put a push transition on a clip in the secondary storyline, it will be smart enough to push out the secondary storyline clip and push on the primary storyline clip it's transitioning to? Or is it only going to affect the secondary storyline clip?

Craig Seeman July 26th, 2011 04:06 PM

Not that I've tried every transitions but wipes work as well.

I think Apple's use of the term "trackless" was another marketing faux pax.
Rather than adding tracks and fill them with clips, you add the clips and convert them to track mode if you need it. It's hard to make that an attractive marketing bite though.

BTW another thing to like about this kind of track creation as that the audio and video can be seen/used together.

In legacy FCP and other NLEs if you're putting video on Video Track 5, your complimentary audio may be on Audio Tracks 9 and 10 with many intervening tracks. That would actually be one of the problem situations where you don't notice that they're connected in old NLEs and you move video and nasty things might happen. Now you can see they're together. If you don't want them to travel, select detach audio and it immediately goes below the Primary Storyline almost like "old" audio track.

I can still see some potential issues and confusion with the new was as well but as you play with it, you can come up with some feature requests.

James Campbell July 27th, 2011 04:05 AM

Craig, your perspective is very helpful, thanks. Rather than taking the perspective of either "the sky fell" or "things are perfect," you're helping to take the worry off by explaining solutions rather than ideology. I'm in the midst of the Ripple training videos for FCP X, so I'm not yet on the lessons of what you're describing, but I've bookmarked this webpage for when I get there.

Brett Sherman July 29th, 2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1670255)
I think Apple's use of the term "trackless" was another marketing faux pax.Rather than adding tracks and fill them with clips, you add the clips and convert them to track mode if you need it. It's hard to make that an attractive marketing bite though. BTW another thing to like about this kind of track creation as that the audio and video can be seen/used together.

This is one of the things I find most exciting about FCP X. I spend an awful lot of time dealing with track collisions in FCP 7. That being said, FCP X, I think works well with simple editing. However, once you add in complications I think it becomes more cumbersome. Let's say for example you have an interview where in between sentences someone slams a door. In FCP 7 it was easy to just insert ambient audio in the audio track. It took like 3 keystrokes - bing bang boom - done. Now it's much more cumbersome you have to detach the audio, split it, delete the middle section, insert the new audio, reconnect everything together.

And back to my transition between storylines. I would wager a significant amount that transitions between two storylines are not two-sided. In otherwords, wipes would only work if you are wiping out the secondary storyline. If you want to wipe on the primary storyline I think you are SOL. There just isn't an easy way to accomplish this. With FCP 7 it was relatively easy, you just move the clips on the same track - done.

It could be that I just don't know the workarounds, since I haven't fully evaluated FCP X. But I do think there are still critical missing features that wouldn't have taken Apple a lot of time to implement had they had their head in the game. I think half the griping about FCP X would be gone if it had been able to open FCP 7 projects and export audio and video for post-processing.

Steve Kalle July 29th, 2011 11:32 PM

Hey Craig,

Man, you are fighting an uphill battle on an 80 degree incline on an iceberg during the middle of winter in a blizzard near Antarctica :)

Even though I don't totally agree with you on FCPX, I respect your effort.

Shufiyan Shukur July 30th, 2011 09:45 AM

It looks good, but it ain't no good to me if it doesn't support my Canon's XF mxf files ... :-(

Ray Sigmond July 31st, 2011 12:52 PM

Shufiyan:

Take a look at this thread and it might give you a temporary work around until FCP X supports the Canon XF Series

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf...nal-cut-x.html