DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old July 29th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I'm four projects into FCPX

After a bit of transition and research, I am happy to say that FCPX is saving me loads of time. I work on an episodic project that has a new episode every week. The first project went slow and clunky as I learned the interface. Total edit time was around 18 hours. Today I finished my latest episode and it took 7 hours. The new interface is so efficient. Once I learned how to use it, my edits just flow. I will never go back to FCP7.
I know X has a way to go in terms of stability and implementing certain features, but as it is now I'm loving the speed.

Evan
Evan Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: I'm four projects into FCPX

That's encouraging Evan, I'm on FCP6 and bought FCPX and standing at a crossroads here. So radically different but I do see the benefits..

Cheers,
Old July 31st, 2011, 12:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Lloyd View Post
After a bit of transition and research, I am happy to say that FCPX is saving me loads of time. I work on an episodic project that has a new episode every week. The first project went slow and clunky as I learned the interface. Total edit time was around 18 hours. Today I finished my latest episode and it took 7 hours. The new interface is so efficient. Once I learned how to use it, my edits just flow. I will never go back to FCP7.
I know X has a way to go in terms of stability and implementing certain features, but as it is now I'm loving the speed.

Evan
Curious to know what was your average time to complete the episodes in FCP7 ?.
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 03:40 PM   #4
Trustee

Not really sure why an individual editors speed experience matters much either way.

The point of the post was that one individual who's working through the learning curve notes that he's feeling more efficient within his particular workflow than he did before he had the option of using a new tool.

Obviously this does not mean EVERY editor will experience the same thing. There's no real reason to compare the kind of work he does, nor how fast he learns, nor his editing experience, to others.

All he's saying is that it works better FOR HIM.

The haters will have thousands of arguments why his view is wrong, or why the kind of work he does isn't "professional" enough. The lovers will grab this as vindication that the tool is worthy and simply mis-understood.

The truth is that all this proves is that the tool is perfectly capable of making one editor delighted to have switched.

If others follow, quickly OR slowly, FCP-X will build and find it's place among the choices out there.

It also clearly shows that the small fraction of the MOST NEGATIVE "doom sayers" were incorrect in their projection that the software is so flawed as to make it impossible for anyone with professional goals to do productive work with it.

People - like the OP in this thread - are doing precisely that. That's all this says.
Old July 31st, 2011, 08:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv Attingal View Post
Curious to know what was your average time to complete the episodes in FCP7 ?.
My average was two hours per completed minute. That is edit, color correction, transitions, titles etc. I'd say I'm now averaging in the 1-1.5 hours per finished minute. Aside from speed, the interface is just easier to work with. IMHO. I can quickly grab a ton of clips, get them in the order I want them, tune up the timing, ad transitions, color correct, sweeten sound, and print. All with less clicking, dragging, and searching.

For me.... X is meeting my expectations and getting the job done. That said, I can't wait for the first update. I do think the interface is a bit too shaky. The computer still locks up, now and then, on the most trivial things. It's not horrible, but it could and hopefully will get better. Two words-Proxy Media.

Evan
Evan Lloyd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X