A couple of questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old August 6th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #1
Major Player

A couple of questions

Okay, I've watched all the Jordan and Izzy training videos and played with it since about a week after it came out. I haven't tried anything serious with it because I'm not comfortable enought, yet.

My questions:

1. I need to start a 56:40 project. How do I set the project length and mark it?

2. The project is destined for DVD and also DIgi-beta (I know... but there are still clients who insist). How do you suggest getting this from FCP X into DIgi-beta if there's no output to tape?

In advance, my humble gratitude.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: A couple of questions

Don't know the answer to the first question, but the second one is easy.

Just export a full length, full quality quicktime, and output it to tape on whatever system you previously used.

If you didn't previously have a system (or have uninstalled it), you can generally play out with the software that comes with your Video IO card as well.

One more step, but not a hugely cumbersome one as long as your workflow is prepared for it.
Old August 7th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
1. I need to start a 56:40 project. How do I set the project length and mark it?
Here's what I would try. Either make a gap clip at the head of your storyline or drop in your opening clip. From there, append a gap clip the length that you want your project to be, possibly even setting a marker down in time at the specific point. This would be a "connected clip" but you could have this below the storyline instead of above it. This way you can have a time ruler to see how far you have left to edit, without it sliding around on you in the storyline.

Too bad there's no timeline marker. Hmm...
Old August 7th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Major Player

That can't be what Apple intended. I must be missing something.

But I wound up doing it like that. It was very difficult to get to a precise time and mark it... kept going slightly beyond or slightly short. And now I can't figure out how to name the marker. The Help files don't help.

I dunno. I think this software isn't ready for primetime yet. At least for me, anyway.
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I think the Magnetic Timeline has a lot of good benefits to it. But the ability to edit something that has a predetermined length definitely isn't one of them. Wish I had an answer for you...
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #6
Major Player

Not being able to edit to a precise time, or even just making the process difficult is... not well thought-out, and limits the potential of this program for serious work. That can't be what Apple intended. Why would they omit such a basic capability? I must be missing something.
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #7
Major Player

Wait. If you make that gap clip a compound clip, you can open it and edit inside the compound clip. That will be your hard duration and won't edit past the time set.
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #8
Major Player

There you go. Now we're getting somewhere. Thanks.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X