Updated Quicktime now no DTE .mov are readable? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old August 28th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Major Player

Updated Quicktime now no DTE .mov are readable?

Yup, made mistake 1. Letting computer update. Seems my Mac since updating to Quicktme 7.7 all my HDV video files from my DTE Focus Enhancements are NO LONGER READABLE! Crawling on my mac with an older mac, files are fine.. but otherwise no go. Reading on other apple forums it has to do with DTE encoding forked data vs captured or render quicktime that is flattened. Anyway, upgrading from OS X 10.5.8 to 10.7.8 doesn't do anthing except make it even more impossible to go backwards on quicktime. Anyone else running into this and can confirm or found a work around?

Hmmm should be in Final Cute Suite, NOT FCP X.. regardless anyone able to read files here since update?
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Updated Quicktime now no DTE .mov are readable?

QuickTime player in Lion has problems playing these files but not either FCP7 or FCPX in my experience. Neither VLC or MPEGStreamclip have a problem either.
Old August 30th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Weird. since the update last week neither Quicktime 7.7 nor Final Cut Pro (5.1.4) in OS X 10.5.8 or 10.7.1 (with Quicktime X) can read any DTE HDV .mov files. I talked to Focus Enhancements (maker of my DTE drive) and they said

"..... however, there is an issue with Mac OS 10.7.1 Lion and our
Quicktime HDV clips not working at all. We were not aware that our
Quicktime HDV clips would not work in Lion until it was released. You
might want to try recording in M2T and convert the files to Quicktime
with software like Streamclip or Clipwrap."

Anyway, I have an older Mac that I have networked with older OS X and have loaded and re-exported the quicktime files that I can read fine on the new OSX and Quicktime, but what a pain. I'll get my next two jobs done on time, but yeah, not feelin the love. What FCP are you running? Which OS X?
Old August 30th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #4
Inner Circle

FCP7 and FCPX, the latest iterations. OS X.7.1

Yup, good old Focus Enhancements. It doesn't surprise me that they have some screwy QuickTime wrapper on their files. I've had the QuickTime record turned off for years on both of my FireStores. Too much of a problem with random corrupted files. M2T recording on the FireStore and ClipWrap are a great combination and little time is wasted. I just edited files made this way from my JVC HD100 in FCPX with zero problems.
Old August 30th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Trustee

It's pretty common knowledge that Apple is moving away from Quicktime as it's underlying video environment in favor of the newer AV Foundation architecture.

So support for older Quicktime implementations is likely to get worse and worse.

Time to start changing your workflow away from the processes of the past and toward the future.

25 mbps DV, Quicktime, et al are at the end of their useful lives.

The "safe path" is rapidly becoming H-264 and AV Foundation as we move forward - primarily because both are so much more agile when it comes to the visual stream they expect to see coming in and going out.

Forced change is never much fun, but it's typically the price of progress.
Old August 31st, 2011, 09:23 AM   #6
Major Player

Well bummer. But thanks.

I'll have to do a clean install of OS 10.5.8 and be careful on my updates to about month ago... and take my editing computer out of the consumer loop of updates for a while. Who knows.. maybe i"ll luck out and FE will do a firmware update and future work can be done the old way on the newer OS. or do the M2T method.
Old August 31st, 2011, 09:36 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Don't expect anything out of FE. They are in no position to support their old equipment firmware much less repair broken units. I would really recommend trying the ClipWrap demo and recording in m2t before going backwards OS. ClipWrap has worked great for me, worth the $50 I paid.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X