Possible to build XSAN setup for Final Cut using Lion Server? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old September 21st, 2011, 05:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Possible to build XSAN setup for Final Cut using Lion Server?

The update for Final Cut X includes support for XSAN, and the further I looked into it, looks like XSAN is built into Lion? So, theoretically it seems like you could do an xsan on a Mac Mini server for $999:

Apple ? Mac mini with Lion Server ? Now with quad-core power.

Mention of XSAN capabilities in Lion here:

Mac App Store - OS X Lion Server

We're desperately in need of a server setup in our office with a RAID array and trying to figure out the best/cheapest way to go about it. This gives a glimmer of possibilities at least. Did anyone try this in Final Cut 7?

Thanks,

Arne
Arne Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2011, 03:04 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Possible to build XSAN setup for Final Cut using Lion Server?

Are you sure that XSAN is what you want? The Fibrechannel infrastructure will cost many times the price of a Mac Mini with Lion Server although there is now a Thunderbolt->Fibrechannel interface available that will make this configuration possible. Promise releases a thunderbolt to fibre channel adaptor for macs- The Inquirer

We just use a couple of Synology DS1511+ NAS devices for shared RAID storage Synology Network Attached Storage - Products :: DiskStation DS1511+
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Definitely NOT sure that's what I want! We're just trying to find a budget system to run two workstations with Final Cut Pro off the same files. Can you tell me more about your setup? Do you have a server between the NAS and your computers? Are you able to get ProRes to run? What cost range total?

Thanks!
Old September 27th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If you are talking about sharing files as in a proper library system & being able to check out & check in files then a NAS is not what you want but instead is Final Cut Server (no unobtainable) or similar. If you just want to be able to maintain one copy of files that you can both work on but not literally using the same file at the same time (you need to co-ordinate access between yourselves) then a NAS could be the way to go. The Synology boxes are good value & very fast. Accessing a RAID-5 volume over Gigabit Ethernet is similar in speed to accessing local disk in my Mac Pro. A direct attach RAID array or striped internal disks on the Mac Pro would be faster though but we don't have real heavy projects that are going to hammer the disks. We tend to copy files from the NAS to a local disk & then work on them there but sometimes do edit over the network for convenience although scratch disks are always local. You can use one Ethernet port on the each Mac Pro just for accessing the NAS over a private LAN for the best performance.
Old September 27th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Very cool, and thanks so much for taking the time...a couple more questions. So, are you saying there's no file server, just networking directly from Synology to workstations? Are you using an ethernet switcher or just a normal hub? And lastly, I just want to confirm...multiple computers can be accessing the drive, but not the same files, yes? So, one project could be working simultaneously off that system as long as it's not sharing files?

Sorry to pepper you with questions, but this may just be the salvation we've been looking for!

Arne
Old September 29th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Correct there is no file server or rather the NAS is the file server as it's actually running a version of Linux but all interaction & management is done through a web browser. The Synology management interface DSM is really nice DiskStation Manager 3.2 Beyond NAS server operating system Synology Inc. Network Attached Storage NEW NAS Experience

We use a Gigabit Ethernet switch.

Multiple computers can access the files as there are shared using AFP (& SMB for Windows computers). In fact you can be accessing the exact same files just so long as you are not trying to write or modify them. You could have all the source clips on the NAS device but store the project files on local disks or in a private directory on the NAS.

We also use the NAS for Time Machine backups.
Old September 29th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thank you so much! This is life changing info...I just ordered the Synology 1511 with 5 3TB drives for less than $2000. I still can't believe it's going to be this easy. You are the awesome...
Old October 4th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Synology NAS installed and working like a charm!

Arne
Old October 5th, 2011, 12:18 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Johnson View Post
Synology NAS installed and working like a charm!

Arne
Glad to hear it. To my knowledge you are the second person to buy one of devices on my recommendation. I am seriously impressed with the Synology NAS. It is a very sophisticated piece of kit. Very fast & expandable. Quiet too so can happily sit in the office although it can be located anywhere at the end of an Ethernet cable. We are not using advanced features that would improve performance & management like network link aggregation & using iSCSI but for the moment just using the basic file serving capabilities is all we need. We now have two 1511+ boxes & one DX510 expansion box but can still add another couple of DX510s to double the storage capacity if necessary.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X