Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old November 16th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

Apple updates FCP X to 10.0.2

Details from Apple:

"- Fixes an issue in which a title may revert to the default font after restarting Final Cut Pro X
- Resolves an issue that could cause files recorded with certain third-party mobile devices to play back incorrectly
- Addresses a stability issue caused by changing the start time on a Compound Clip

This update is recommended for all users of Final Cut Pro X. For more information, visit Apple - Final Cut Pro X - A revolution in creative editing. "

I did a quick blog about that and Resolve FCP X, 7 roundtripping and Automatic Duck:

Apple Releases Final Cut Pro X 10.0.2 Update, Resolve Roundtripping, Automatic Duck Free | heath mcknight dot com

Heath
Old November 16th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #2
MPS Digital Studios

Re: Apple updates FCP X to 10.0.2

UPDATE: Now it's saying 10.0.2.

Old: I opened up the Mac App Store and it said it was 10.0.1, but it seems to be 10.0.2 on my Mac.

heath
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

For new FCP X users (me) do a Software Update to finish the install. FCPX Supplemental Content 1.0 and ProApps QuickTime Codecs 1.0 are installed via Software Update. The FCPX trainer at the Apple store also suggested using MPEG Clipstream as a free alternative to compressor FWIW.
Konrad Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 06:44 AM   #4
Major Player

What? Still not possible to choose a scratch-folder? No multicam editing? No tracks on the timeline? Still not for me then.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Inner Circle

It is possible to choose a scratch folder but it's project dependent not global. Works for me.

The other two, not yet. I too, would like both.
Old November 30th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Question:

I edit on a Macbook Pro. I have a couple of big external hard drives attached, and that's where the video clips are that I use for FCPX.

Now I see that the hard drive in the Macbook Pro is filling up with stuff in an Events folder.

How do I tell FCPX to not put anything on the Macbook hard drive, and to use only the external drive?

Thanks.
Tom Gresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #7
Major Player

That's exactly what I mean: I hate it when applications make 'events folders' for me. I want to have 100% control over my folder structure, so that I can decide what goes where.
I need to be able to make a folder on my external 'editing'-hard disk, and in that folder I need to have different subfolders, where each job (wtf is 'an event'?) will find it's dedicated place. So that even in ten years, when my customer ask for a certain clip, I'll be able to get it out for him within 5 minutes.

Anyone who designs an application without respect for those simple demands, has been blinded by the huge profits of the prosumer market and has obviously no clue how professionals organize their work..
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #8
Wrangler

Luc,
Sounds like you need to go find another NLE. FCP X seems to be getting under your skin.

Tom,
Take a good look at the Events Library, you can specify which drive Events are stored on. There is a feature to move events, or you can physically copy the Event folder to another drive. The Project files work the same way.
Old December 1st, 2011, 03:18 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks for the advice, Michael. I removed it from my Mac, but finding another NLE? No thanks, I have gone back to FCP7. Still does everything I need. Will probably try X again later, when and if Apple decides to take our remarks seriously.
Old December 1st, 2011, 06:54 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Michael, thanks for that. I'll take a look, and move the events folder off the Macbook Pro.

After I updated to 10.0.2, everything slowed way down, and now I get the spinning beach ball so much that FCPX is unusable. I'm hoping that clearing stuff from the hard drive will help. (fingers crossed)

Backup plan is to buy another computer. I know that editing on the laptop is far from ideal. It just kinda grew into that.
Tom Gresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 08:55 AM   #11
Trustee

Actually, I think that FCPX is really geared towards working on a laptop.
However the drawback with a laptop, is that you generally only have one drive to work from.

And as a general rule of thumb you should never work on the same drive that contains your NLE program and your media, as there's just too much of a bottle neck.

So by simply having your media on a separate drive (via FW, ESATA, or Thunderbolt) you should have a much better experience. However there still seems to be a small group of people who are experiencing FCPX losing track of Events and such.

I hope that Apple gives us a little more control over out assets and let us specify the relocation and syncing of events or assets if a problem arrises. A simple reconnect media like pretty much all NLEs have should suffice. maybe Apple doesn't allow this due to Meta data conflicts. I don't know, but hopefully it can be rectified later on in the next update.
Old December 1st, 2011, 12:03 PM   #12
Major Player

What are the specs of your Macbook Pro? I've got a 2009 model (Intel 2 core, 2.5GHz, 4GB Ram) and it sputters with a 2 minute timeline, despite event library being kept on esata connected external HD.

Ideally I'd love to edit AVCHD native ....
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 12:57 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I use my 2010 17" MacBook Pro while editing on the go. I replaced the optical drive (DVD player) with a 750GB hard drive so that I have a separate drive for my Events folders (which you specify at import, the default is your main drive so you have to catch it when you create a new Event) and my system and apps on a 128GB solid state drive. I used to use an external drive but got tired of lugging it around, plugging and unplugging it, etc. Now it's all internal. Haven't had any problems yet. I always use the wall charger when editing video because of the power requirements of the graphic card and CPU. I have the system configured to keep the second drive from sleeping (spindown) when connected to the wall charger and when on battery power it sleeps after 1 min. I use that second drive specifically for editing video and nothing else so I don't need to access it when on battery power. Battery life is not affected that way.
OptiBay™ Hard Drive and SSD Drive for MacBook Pro, MacBook, PowerBook G4, and Mac mini
The package includes a USB external enclosure for you to put the DVD burner in, which I never use anyway.

It took me a bit of research to figure everything out but I think it was time well spent.

Sorry this is a little off topic but it was relevant to those that were discussing the Events folder location.
Jordan Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 07:15 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
Actually, I think that FCPX is really geared towards working on a laptop.
However the drawback with a laptop, is that you generally only have one drive to work from.

And as a general rule of thumb you should never work on the same drive that contains your NLE program and your media, as there's just too much of a bottle neck.

So by simply having your media on a separate drive (via FW, ESATA, or Thunderbolt) you should have a much better experience. However there still seems to be a small group of people who are experiencing FCPX losing track of Events and such.

I hope that Apple gives us a little more control over out assets and let us specify the relocation and syncing of events or assets if a problem arrises. A simple reconnect media like pretty much all NLEs have should suffice. maybe Apple doesn't allow this due to Meta data conflicts. I don't know, but hopefully it can be rectified later on in the next update.
Michael,

FCP-X works wonderfully with external drives. I have a dozen projects where the clip data files live on various firewire external drives. These are stored as "disk images" from the originally shot cards. Launching the disc images from the cards it takes just a few seconds for all the clips to auto-link into my X timelines and from that point on, so it's a simple workflow.

The moment you learn how it works, you actually stop thinking about "re-linking" because pointing to a "clip" is no longer a fixed location based concept, but a new fluid relationship-based thing.

As you come to understand the new structure, it's actually a LOT smarter and much more powerful since the RELATIONSHIP links between your clips are the key.

Defining these relationships requires a bit more discipline and work. But the potential results are STUNNING when you realize that you can search, sort and find assets in whole new ways if you just take the time to learn the new capabilities.

A guy popped up on another board I frequent noting that they're using FCP-X at ABC sports in nationally televised games precisely because of this power. He noted that the crew was hesitant at first to re-learn how things worked differently, but when they realized that X could SEARCH FOR ALL CLIPS WITH PLAYER X and gather them for a highlight cut in SECONDS - that was a clear hint of how a database-driven editing approach can be really powerful tool.

FWIW.
Old December 30th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #15
Major Player

All is well and fine, but FCPX is terrible slow. When you have a few big projects, every move you make gets the system on its knees. In my eyes, FCPX isn't a good and easy to search archive of all your footage. After using it in a big project, I fear it might take 2 years for Apple to make it 'usable'. It is a big shame, as I am very fond of FCPX and can really see it working. Right now, it is 1.02 and there are too many issues with the UI, performance, bad playhead behavior and missing features. I am out for now. But to where?
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X