Minor FCPX success story at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old December 5th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Minor FCPX success story

Here is a surprise success story with FCPX that I wasn't expecting. I was given two HD ProRes versions of a European feature movie slated for limited release here in the US. Since there were no 35mm prints with subtitles the distributer was going with DCP files with embedded subtitles. Unfortunately some independent cinemas do not have DCP servers so I was asked to make BluRays with 5.1 sound for them. Due to some issue the distributer only had a subtitled ProRes 2 ch. stereo version. My job was to get the 5.1 track onto the subtitled version and make exhibition BluRays.

Knowing that FCPX defaults to 5.1 sound I decided to take a chance. The ProRes file with the 5.1 sound dropped in perfectly with all the channels assigned properly. Even if they weren't, fixing that would have been accomplished in a few minutes, It was easy to overlay the subtitled video track, check to make sure that all was in sync and export a fixed ProRes file for BluRay encoding. Happy me, happy client.

Nice, although I'm not sure how I would have done this in FCP7 for comparison.
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Minor FCPX success story

Are you saying that you converted the stereo track to 5.1 surround? Or was the 5.1 tracks supplied to you?
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Minor FCPX success story

The unsubtitled file was in 5.1 surround but for whatever reason the subtitled file was in 2.0 stereo. The distributor had promised 5.1 to the theaters and there was no way to get a new subtitled ProRes file from Europe. I simply replaced the unsubtitled video track with the subtitled one.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X