DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old December 7th, 2011, 03:08 AM   #1
Major Player

Hard drive on MacBook Pro

Hi,
Not sure where to post this, as there's no general/hardware Mac forum, but here goes:

I'm about to order a new MacBook Pro. I have two questions regarding the hard drive.

1. Does anyone know some more details about the 128GB SSD shipped with the MacBook Pro? There are no technical specs at all on Apple's website.
2. I know that RAM is user upgradable (at least it was on our previous 2008 model). What about the hard drive? Can I buy an SSD separately and replace without breaking Apple's warranty?

Many thanks in advance.
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Hard drive on MacBook Pro

I'm pretty sure whenever you open the case, you void the warranty. The SSD drives are great to have. You can probably just do some googling to find out the average seek/write times of the newer SSDs like the OCZ series. As far as the memory, I always recommend doing it yourself. Should be straight forward. Grab some anti-static wrist bands to be safe.

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 05:47 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks John,
I was hoping to find out which brand/model of SSD was inside the latest MBP. But if hard drives are not user upgradable, I'm "stuck" with what Apple has chosen anyway, so perhaps it doesn't matter all that much ...
Old December 8th, 2011, 06:38 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Current models are easy to replace the HD. Here's the manual. Page 37:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...ch_Mid2010.pdf

You can also search the apple communities for the Macbook Pro with "upgrade hard disk" as in here:
https://discussions.apple.com/commun...%20hard%20disk
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for chiming in Les. I wasn't aware of the new guidelines. Seems post 2008, hard-drives became classified as user-upgradable.

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Les, that's great news.
So any info/recommendations about built in 128GB SSD vs. purchasing separately still appreciated.
Old December 14th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #7
Major Player

Warranty regulations would be specific to Israel.
Other World Computing has some MBP SSD info on their site. But I expect in actual use a user wouldn't notice a performance difference between Apple SSD and the fastest third party model. So I think for SSD and ram it's a matter of cost.
I upgraded my 2008 MBP myself. It was somewhat difficult. For my next purchase I will look at a third party company to provide an upgraded system.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #8
Inner Circle

It certainly does not void the warranty to replace the hard drive in a MacBook Pro. Like memory it is seen as a user upgrade & Apple even show you how to do it. MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009) How to install a replacement hard drive.

I upgraded my early 2008 model to an SSD which has transformed performance & given it a new lease of life but would agree that it is somewhat difficult. The current unibody MBPs are much simpler to upgrade than the previous models & just require unscrewing 10 screws to remove the bottom plate.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X