Having problems with Compressor 4 and QuickCluster? Try the update. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old April 15th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Having problems with Compressor 4 and QuickCluster? Try the update.

Compressor 4 and Qmaster completely broke down on my MacPro last month and I could no longer use the QuickCluster function for fast MPEG or h264 encoding. The sign that something was wrong was when launching Compressor the computer asked for a system password. I followed Apple's advice and created a new boot disk with only FCPX and Compressor 4 installed but that only worked for a week before it stopped working as well. BluRay encoding was not affected. I was forced to use Adobe Media Encoder for fast DVD and YouTube encodes. It's not a bad program but I like Compressor a lot better. I sent in a complaint about the problem to Apple. This week, after installing the Compressor update, I could reset the QuickCluster and it is working again.
Old April 16th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Having problems with Compressor 4 and QuickCluster? Try the update.

Thanks for sharing!
(didn't have the problem myself, but it's good that people post their solutions like that, it can only help)
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I take it back......Qmaster disappeared again.

Something is very wrong with QMaster and my 2009 MacPro. It makes little sense as it breaks on my regular system boot and on my emergency boot disk that has nothing of my other system disk.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:07 AM   #4
Major Player

I am having a similar problem. My QuickClusters are not available from the pulldown menu when I go to submit a job. My problems started after the update. Everything was working fine before.
I am also using a 2009 MacPro.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:04 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I believe it's related to the 2009 MacPro and not other models. A helpful soul over at the Apple support forums suggested that I clear the Compressor background cache and uncheck "share unmanaged services with othe computers on the network". After some fiddling that worked but opening Share Monitor seems to cause the problem again. Clearing the background cache brings back the QuickCluster but not always immediately. Frustrating.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X