I think my iMac is too outdated for FCPX at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old May 12th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #1
Major Player

I think my iMac is too outdated for FCPX

I've been wondering why my iMac just didn't seem to be playing nice with FCPX. I've been searching the internet and have finally found what could explain my problems with AVCHD files. Apparently my graphics card is not listed as being compatible. I have the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256MB. Here's the list I found this evening. Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4: Graphics card compatibility

Basically I have an iMac from mid 2007.
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics card ATI Radeon HD200 Pro 256 MB

I only do stage events these days with either single or two cameras and run several digital recorders for audio, so I don't think going to a Pro would be needed. I like the smaller footprint of the iMac. Since I know ZERO about all the info above except that more RAM is good ... would picking up a new iMac pretty much take care of me?
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: I think my iMac is too outdated for FCPX

Before you get a new iMac, try converting a few AVCHD files to ProRes and see if you experience the same problems. If you get consistently better behavior from FCPX then consider installing more RAM. Unfortunately the ProRes files will be at least three times the size of the original video files so you will need a good external drive. Perhaps a new iMac is for the best, all the new ones work with FCPX.
Old May 12th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks William ... that's actually one of the things I tried and it was still slow and stuttered. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why things were getting so jammed up.

This might explain why I've corresponded with some that say they have no problems at all.
Old May 13th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Inner Circle

What are you playing the files back from?
The system drive running OSX and Applications should be avoided when playing back files while editing. You may want to try a Firewire drive that's at least 7200rpm.
Your graphics card will be a problem though. Also your CPU (Core2Duo) is on the weak side by today's standards but it should handle ProRes just fine.

The top of the line Built To Order iMacs are faster than several of the MacPro which were last updated in 2010 and don't have Thunderbolt. You'd definitely be better with a top of the line iMac with two Thunderbolt ports.

Try a Firewire 7200rpm drive. If you do move to a new Mac you'll still be able to use it. You can expand your RAM to 8GB but it that doesn't do the trick, you won't be able to use it in a new machine.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #5
Major Player

All files play back from external firewire drives ... all 7200.

Normally I would try and read Apple's mind as to when they might bring out the new iMac, but if I need it then I need it.
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Brooks View Post
All files play back from external firewire drives ... all 7200.

Normally I would try and read Apple's mind as to when they might bring out the new iMac, but if I need it then I need it.
Given your iMac's GPU/CPU it's time to upgrade but . . .

It's strange state at the moment. MacPro 2010 is still for sale yet it's surely EOL. My hunch is something will replace it, but what.

Will it be a Xeon base iMacPro or a box with a new case design?
I'd hold off until WWDC, now only a few weeks away.
New Xeons were announced by Intel in March and new Thunderbolt controllers were announced at the end of April. My own guess is something new is a few weeks away and, at that point, we'll see the MacPro in its current form, go away.
Also considering Mountain Lion is coming soon, it may be that Apple will release new machines when the whole package is ready.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X