Big issue... FCP X only outputting uncompressed & - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old June 4th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Big issue... FCP X only outputting uncompressed &

It depends on your work, I never need to deliver anything HD in any format except ProRes these days, that's become a universal format for distribution. The last shoot I did in XDCam was converted to ProRes for editing by request of the client. Of course, the usefulness of straight codec to codec would be a welcome addition to FCPX, however the only time I would use it these days is for the odd NTSC DV SD projects I get.

As a note regarding export speeds:

Yesterday I exported three FCP projects on two different systems, a 4 and a half 2K slide show for a theater, a 4:40 ProRes SD project for DVD and a 65 minute 1080 60i AVCHD project. On my 2009 2.66 MacPro, the 2K project, which was rendering large, high resolution print stills with static CG overlays, took 12 minutes according to the progress bar. The SD project (also on the MacPro), with nothing done to the clip except a couple of trims, took 40 seconds. The AVCHD project was exported to an HD ProRes file on a 17" MacBook Pro (sorry, I don't remember the processor speed), with nothing done to the clips except dropped in order of shooting, and took 38 minutes according to the progress bar.

One thing I have noticed is that the progress bar tends to over-estimate the times on some exports and the export will successfully complete before the progress bar is 2/3s across.

Last edited by William Hohauser; June 5th, 2012 at 06:40 AM. Reason: More fascinating info added
William Hohauser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X