DVD Quality - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old February 5th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: DVD Quality

Glad to be of help! I only use Compressor when I'm converting an export from FCPX to h.264 to upload to YouTube or Vimeo.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
Just a question, you're not using Proxy files for your editing are you?

I ask because you say one of your videos is over an hour long, so it wouldn't be unusual for someone to be working in Proxy.

If so, go into your FCP-X Preferences files and switch to Original Media before you make your master.

Also, FCP-X does not use Quicktime unless you add a stage to do that. It's based entirely on AVFoundation which has none of the Quicktime issues.

The first thing I'd do is make sure you're out of Proxy and in Original Media quality - then use the internal FCP-X DVD burner to make a quick direct DVD of the short file.
Question: Is the suggestion to change the Preferences to "Original Media" ONLY because of the long one-hour video file? Or, is that a good "~standard" procedure if one doesn't necessarily want a QuickTime file?

I guess the default for a Master File is a QuickTime format.

P.S. David: Thans for the reply and feedback.

Last edited by John Nantz; February 11th, 2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: added P.S.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #33
Trustee

The way I understand it, if your timeline is linked to Proxy files (which are reduced in size and resolution from the original media) then X will use those as the sources when you Share your work.

Obviously, if you're just doing email client updates or are looking for iPhone or iPad size versions, Proxy files are great, so there's no reason to up-rez before you Share.

But if you're looking to final master for high rez, it just makes sense to have your project use the highest quality source files.

So switching the links to the Original Media will ensure that X encodes masters from the highest quality sources.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X