Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:22 AM   #1
Trustee

w/ FCP X: Where to send incoming video clips > HDD or SSD

The question is: "Where to send the incoming video clips?"

I've got a new-to-me Mac Pro 3,1 with a 256 MB Solid State Drive and a 3 TB Hard Disk Drive. The applications are on the SSD and I'm ready to bring in some video files and start working on them. Actually, I already brought in some and they're sitting on the SSD drive because I forgot to think ahead.

The big question is, should the newly imported video files be on the SSD drive and after the video is edited then move them to the HDD? Or, should they be on the HDD while the Project is edited on the SSD?

I haven't decided where the original video clips will be archived but for the time being they'll be left on the HDD. Once that's starts filling up then it'll be decision time again. At least for now I don't have to worry about it.

Did some searching of DVinfo but didn't find anything on this subject. However, I did find Nigel Barker with a similar computer configuration also running FCP X so hopefully he reads this.

OS 10.8.2, FCP X 10.0.7, 8 GB RAM

Last edited by John Nantz; February 2nd, 2013 at 12:24 AM. Reason: changed a term
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: w/ FCP X: Where to send incoming video clips > HDD or SSD

Normally you would house the footage on the HDD since the SSD will get filled easily and the general rule of thumb is to have the footage on a separate disk from the app.

However, if you can always work with the space of the SSD and get better performance you can just do that so long as you remember to move the event/project later on to keep space on the SSD.

I say try both and see if there is a performance difference. If not, just put everything on the HDD.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:18 AM   #3
Inner Circle

There will be a very small difference between the drives during editing unless you happen to be working with very large format files in 4K or uncompressed 10bit. Or multicam with a lot of cameras. These days single HDD drives are fast enough for most editing jobs that people do. The only time you might see a real improvement is when you render the final program out to a file. Going to another drive than the one where the footage is stored tends to be faster.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:00 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks for the answers, guys. Looks like putting the original video files on the HDD is a good way to go. I really don't relish moving things around any more than I have to. *Stuff* happens, dropouts, and who knows what else. Then there is the database system.

It's still be nice if Nigel would leave his 2 cents worth.

Thanks again. Now I'm going to be looking ahead down the workflow process - Warning: new post coming up.
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X