How do I archive AVCHD from my SDHC card to an external USB 3.0 drive in FCX? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old May 8th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How do I archive AVCHD from my SDHC card to an external USB 3.0 drive in FCX?

Hello all. I apologize if this has been covered already but I couldn't find an answer with a quick search and I am pressed for time.

I am using the trial version of 10.0.8 on a brand new MacBook Pro. I am reading the SDHC on the built in reader and want to copy my footage onto an external USB 3.0 drive using final cut's import. My problem is FC only gives me the option of archiving to the Mac system drive which is a very limited 500GB SSD. Obviously this is not a good long term solution. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to add the USB 3.0 drive to the drop down list. I cannot see many features in preferences that I am used to seeing in FC such as setting scratch drives. Can anyone tell me how to best go about coping my files from the SDHC to the external drive so I can edit from those files and clear my SDHC card for future shoots. The ACVHD file structure looks a little to complex for me to do a simple copy as there are a lot of folders which really don't make a lot of sense to me. BTW I acquired the footage with an FS100 if that matters.

Also: Where is Log and Capture? Did Apple leave out some components with the trial version?
Joe Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: How do I archive AVCHD from my SDHC card to an external USB 3.0 drive in FCX?

Hi Joe, I made a tutorial video coving the subject. These are common questions when working with AVCHD and I think many could benefit from it. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Nate Haustein; May 8th, 2013 at 12:16 PM.
Nate Haustein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: How do I archive AVCHD from my SDHC card to an external USB 3.0 drive in FCX?

Thanks Nate! The video was very helpful. I'm starting to get the hang of FCX but I still can't figure out how to get a multi view of the clips on the timeline so I can do comparisons while color correcting. My FC6 had the color correcting tool that showed the clip before and the clip after which made matching a whole lot easier. Is there a similar view in FCX? I couldn't find it if there is one. I will surely miss it if they left that out.

Also, is there a way to be sure render and created .mov files are written to the external drive instead of the system drive? Preferences is a little anemic and doesn't give any options for handling data storage. No scratch drives as best as I can tell. At the moment, it looks like I'll have to be doing some periodic housekeeping to keep the system drive from getting choked up with media files.

Thanks again for your help. Joe
Joe Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 04:53 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Just start a new event in any drive that appears in the event browser, that's where the video data will now live. Use the Move function under the File menu to transfer entire events from one drive to another.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X