DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old July 11th, 2013, 08:29 AM   #1
Major Player

.M2T to Quicktime HD

Hi,

I shot a wedding for a company I work with, and they need it converted to Quictime HD. In the past I shot to tape, captured the footage, and converted it to Quicktime with no problems. Recently, however I got a Sony MRC1 adapter with shoots to CF card for my Sony Z5U, hoping to save the step of capturing. I convert the files, only this time I got a call from them, saying there are black bars on the side (curtains) of the video, and ask I re-convert. The Z5U shoots HDV (1440x1080), which probably explains the gap for the black. I check the footage, and settings, it seems all correct, was all left on default. Anyway, to cut to the chase, the method I found to fill the Quicktime video was when I convert the Pixel Aspect Ratio to "Square Pixels". Does this sound right?

The footage looks proper, to me & on my monitor. I just hope I'm not blowing it up or distorting the quality of the video in some way. Also, in my mind it would seem the PAR should be "1.33" instead, but myb I'm not inverting/dividing my math properly.

Any help or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks,
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: .M2T to Quicktime HD

You should ask how they're using/viewing the file.
1440x1080 is common for HDV and XDCAM HD as well.
A proper NLE would display it as 1920x1080.

Certainly you could convert 1440x1080 to 1920x1080 square pixels but if they're having a problem with 1440x1080 I'd suspect they have an issue on their end understanding the format.

Just an added bonus on how I handle this as a business... when clients pay for the "camera masters" they get them as is. If they ask for further work, especially if it's due to an issue on their end (not understanding the format) I charge for that. I consider that part of my Post Production services. It's the file equivalent of doing tape dubs from the "old days." Alternately they can hire me to do the post job.

You can certainly include a format conversion as part of the production job but that's a discussion I have before agreeing on a price/contract for the shoot.

You can certainly do it as a courtesy but you should let them know it's a courtesy otherwise you can end up getting roped into being their post production supervisor without pay.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, it is worked into the price. Basically I used to have to capture the tape, and convert it to QT, so recording to card actually saves me that step, which is nice. Unfortunately ran into this little hiccup tho.
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:51 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Not too bad of a hiccup. convert to 1920x1080 Square Pixels and all is well.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X