How do I export a freeze frame as a .jpg? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old July 29th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How do I export a freeze frame as a .jpg?

I guess the real question is can I?

I have a client who would like some .jpg stills grabbed from the source footage. In the past, I would simply create a freeze frame and then copy it from the folder it was created in. Is there a way to do this in FCPX? Thanks.
Joe Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: How do I export a freeze frame as a .jpg?

I would just enlarge the video / full screen it > print screen > paste it into microsoft paint and save it as a .jpg
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Wouldn't any editor just have a shortcut key to do this ? It's a pretty basic function. I use Edius it's a simple key stroke.
Al Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
I would just enlarge the video / full screen it > print screen > paste it into microsoft paint and save it as a .jpg
I'd like to see that done on a Mac......It doesn't have a print screen as such, you use Apple+Shift+3 and I've never seen M$ Paint on a Mac unless you go through Parallels.

Try this - half way down page:

Larry Jordan - FCP X: Create/Export Still Frames |
Old July 29th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Dave,

Thanks! That is just what I was looking for. I totally forgot there were more "Share" options available in the preferences folder. I really need to spent the time to learn this program. I'll be humming along at light speed and then hit a bump when trying to figure out how to export a silly still frame.
Joe Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #6
Major Player

Go to move the cursor over the frame you want to make into a .jpg, click Share, then Save Current Frame, then tell it where you want it to be saved. Bingo!
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 06:44 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Open the source video in QuickTime Player. Go to the frame you want a still image. From EDIT menu select COPY (or command COPY). This creates a TIFF image of the current frame and stores it in clipboard. Open PREVIEW application and from FILE menu select NEW FROM CLIPBOARD. Then export it as JPG. I usually sharpen the image before exporting.
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Trustee

Joe -

Your post and comment is really timely!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Holt View Post
That is just what I was looking for. I totally forgot there were more "Share" options available in the preferences folder. I really need to spent the time to learn this program. I'll be humming along at light speed and then hit a bump when trying to figure out how to export a silly still frame.
Just yesterday I had a very similar problem, did some reference book and on-line research for a bit, didn't find my solution, did a work-around, and moved on to keep the Project going. Unfortunately, this modus operandi doesn't allow one to learn anything although it does allow one to get the project out the door albeit maybe in not the fashion one would prefer.

When I look back at the hurdles I went through just getting my early videos edited all I can think of is how much time that took and how elementary the finished videos were. Now I'm whipping them out to a higher standard in reasonably short order but it seems that almost every time there is something new I want to do. Sometimes I take the time to find out how to do it, other times I just pass and tell myself "Next time."

On my "To-Do Learn List" is doing a B-roll camera. I know it can be done but I just need to get started, figure it out, and try it once.

So, as for your post problem I can empathize.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 02:10 AM   #9
Major Player

In FCP X, go to File --> Share--> Save current Frame

You need to select the location and give the name and save it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X