DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old October 25th, 2014, 12:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Cloud backup

Hi Guys,

I film weddings and have a External 8TB Raid Drive sitting beside my MacPro which has 8TB of internal storage. I use FCPX but also want to be sure that if ever there was a fire my files would be safe.

Each wedding I film is around 60GB of footage so what I normally do is copy them online what I also want to do is sleep knowing that my FCPX project files are also uploaded automatically and safely. Can anybody offers me some online storage suggestions.

Thanks
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 04:03 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Cloud backup

Here's possibly a cheaper, faster option ...

Buy a fireproof safe, and lots of 2TB Portable Hard drives (the ones that are 2.5"/3.5" USB powered without mains plug) and back up on to those and keep them in the safe.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Where are you uploading 60Gbs to? That must take time and cost quite a bit each month. Backing up to USB3 drives is the best way, especially if your load the footage from each wedding into a different library file. Then all you have to do is copy the library file and everything is backed up.
Old October 26th, 2014, 02:24 AM   #4
Trustee

Just realised you've mentioned that you're already uploading everything on to the net but seem to be after an 'automated' solution that backs up everything as well as your project files ?

I don't think one exists. Not unless you keep your PC on 24/7 for Windows to carry out the automated task anyway ...

I think the option i've suggested is the cheapest / safest bet should god forbid a fire broke out.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 03:56 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I'm surprised you feel the need to archive and back up so much information. I can understand having a backup of projects you are currently working on or very recent ones, but it sounds more like you are trying to archive everything.

If that is the case, are you charging your clients for storage and is archiving part of your deal with them? I always store a master copy of my client's finished product, but over 30 years of video production I have never been asked to re-edit a finished product years or even months later, so never store raw footage or projects.

If you are really intending to archive everything, then I would follow James suggestion of a fireproof safe for hard drive storage, or keeping a drive at a friends house. Cloud storage seems like an expensive ongoing option that is still not completely infallible and one that you should be charging for if it is going to cost you money.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X