DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   "Conforming" issue in FCPX at 24P (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/528508-conforming-issue-fcpx-24p.html)

Josh Hayes May 23rd, 2015 02:05 PM

"Conforming" issue in FCPX at 24P

Hey folks. I'm assuming this has happened to a lot of folks but couldn't find much info on it online or in the forums. I shoot on a GH4 and GH3 and a few GH2's when necessary.

Anyway, the GH4 shoots actual 24P it looks like instead of 23.98. So I'm running into this scenario. So If I say am filming a conference talk with 3 camera setup, I have
Cam A: GH4 @24FPS,
Cam B: GH3 @ 23.98
Cam C: GH3 @ 23.98

So when I drop these in a timeline to edit them together, snyc them with my audio recorded to a separate device, etc. I'm getting a snyc issue. I'm assuming this is based on the project settings. Meaning if it's a 24P timeline (I drop in the GH4 footage first) then the two GH3's don't match up to it and the synced audio. Conversely If the timeline is 23.98 because I drop the GH3 in first, then then the audio is snyced with it and not the GH4's 24P.

That's a long description for the question how do I get these camera's to play nice together and not lose snyc? I'm assuming it's a matter of conforming it and either adding the two frames to 23.98 or subtracting those two frames from 24, but since Cinema Tools is gone it looks like my only option is called "AUTOMATIC SPEED" now? If you got to adjust that it asks in percentages to confirm, and not in framerates. Since I've never seen that I'm confused. That's usual for dramatic speed changes to me. Not sure I'min the right direction?

How are folks conforming footage in FCPX from 23.98 to 24 or vice versa?

Gary Huff May 23rd, 2015 09:38 PM

Re: "Conforming" issue in FCPX at 24P

Why are you shooting in DCI 4K at 24.00 instead of UHD 4K at 23.98?

Josh Hayes May 24th, 2015 02:29 AM

I'm not shooting 4k at all at the conferences I cover.

Gary Huff May 24th, 2015 06:59 AM

Why do you have your camera set to 24.00 Hz in your System Frequency setting?

Josh Hayes May 24th, 2015 11:50 AM

I love the YOU statements here. Feel like I'm being blamed for not knowing something that for the very nature of if I did, obviously I wouldn't be asking.

So, I didn't even know about "System Frequency". Just took a look at that setting on the camera. Other options are 50.00 PAL or 59.94 NTSC. I don't see a 23.98 option instead of a 24 there so that also doesn't appear to be helpful. Am I missing something there?

Have other folks had an issue with the GH4's 24P vs most other camera's 24P that's actually 23.98 or am I off base somewhere here?

Gary Huff May 24th, 2015 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Hayes (Post 1887433)
I didn't even know about "System Frequency". Just took a look at that setting on the camera.

Did you purchase used? The GH4 defaults to the NTSC system frequency, so the only reason it should be currently at 24.00 is if it was expressly changed. That's why I had to make sure you didn't set it to that for some specific reason.

Quote:

Other options are 50.00 PAL or 59.94 NTSC. I don't see a 23.98 option instead of a 24 there so that also doesn't appear to be helpful. Am I missing something there?
You are missing that 23.98 is a NTSC frame rate, so you should set your camera to the 59.94. The GH4 manual is here, I highly recommend you take a look at it and read it carefully so that you will know how to use your camera and set it to the settings that you need to use to have it match your other cameras.

Josh Hayes May 24th, 2015 05:06 PM

Nope, bought it straight from the manufacturer, not used.

Obviously have a link to the manual but missed that. If that's the case with NTSC, I'll be set! I'll shoot a test with it later today. cheers.

Josh Hayes June 16th, 2015 05:25 PM

By the way Gary, that worked. Thanks

Josh Hayes June 16th, 2015 05:28 PM

have folks found a good way to conform 24P footage to 23.98? Thanks to Gary I now know to change "frequency" on my cam to NTSC so that the GH4 will shoot 23.98 and not true 24P but I still have a older 5 cam edit of a string quarted I'm editing now. Cameras 2-5 are 23.98 while Cam1 (GH4) is 23.98. The audio will slip if I don't conform it.

Any suggestions?

Josh Hayes June 17th, 2015 01:43 PM

btw, I did try "automatic speed" but it didn't appear to have fixed the issue. Any other suggestions for conforming24 to 23.98? It was so much easier in Cinema Tools back in the day.

Josh Hayes June 17th, 2015 03:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
so without an alternate suggestion, I just did it in Compressor. It more time consuming than doing it in Final Cut because I have run my source files through Compressor and retime them at 23.98 so not the best option, but it gets the jobs done otherwise.

If anybody else goes this route make sure you change the RETIMING CONTROL to "So source plays @ 23.98". I also, based on suggested changed RESIZING CONTROL to "Best" instead of "Better". Also in the video settings changed framerate to 23.976