Tips moving from PP CC to FCP X at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old November 30th, 2015, 10:30 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Tips moving from PP CC to FCP X

I have been with PP CC since Dec 2013, when I had to go there for the Sony F55. Since then all of my projects have been with PP CC. Prior to that I was FCP 7 starting at 4 and other software prior to that all the way back to 16mm hand cranking. So learning new software is easy for me. Also I always buy Larry Jordan's training and go cover to cover.

I use a new Mac Pro (trash can) all max out with two Thunderbolt monitors and one HDMI out to a TV. Audio is Bose through the TV. This has worked well for me and hope I can do this with FCPX.

Any projects in PPCC that I will need to work on I will XML out and have that option.

Beyond that tips and input from editors who have done that change is appreciated.
Old December 1st, 2015, 09:39 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Tips moving from PP CC to FCP X

I believe Intelligent Assistance has a utility to move from PP to FCPX via XML.
Here's Larry Jordan's instructions.

https://larryjordan.com/articles/pre...nal-cut-pro-x/
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2015, 12:21 PM   #3
Major Player

I have no specific suggestions other what you have already probably read - FCPX is a relatively different approach to editing. Be prepared to throw out long-held paradigms and terminology. Don't try to make it work like traditional track-based NLEs. It's very powerful as long as you are open to change.

And, it really is not an Application that lends itself to trial and error muddling around. As you mentioned, buy or rent some training that you are comfortable with (Jordan, Ripple, MacProVideo, etc.) and just start off right.

There's also a HUGE world of third party plugins that are inexpensive and excellent so be sure to check out some of those.

I think you'll love it!
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2015, 12:44 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Craig,
I had found that LJ article over the weekend while searching. Great information and I like his style of teaching having used it for years. Also using Lynda.com

Craig, I would also like to thank you for all the hard work you do to help make this such a wonderful forum, for all of us to learn, help each other, and exchange ideas. I know it is time consuming and we appreciate it.

Thanks you David,
Nice to know I am on track with my plan for the change. Having spent a big part of my career in Yacht Design using some extensive 3D modeling softeware I think with right instruction as you suggest I will get there on track.
My plan is to start this around the holiday time and take a month on my own person projects to get the ball rolling.
Old December 1st, 2015, 09:00 PM   #5
Inner Circle

As someone who is moved, is moving, might move all the way, but not yet, from over a decade of Sony Vegas to FCPX, I echo what is mentioned above. Be ready to have your NLE values challenged, chopped up, and dumped on when it comes to FCPX. IMO, it's software that was made for skaters and dog lovers who wanted a quick easy way to make a 2 minute youtube video, then the market (us) tried it out and ever since it's launch, they've been trying to grow FCPX into a professional piece of software. Like a baby grows up, FCPX is probably around adolescence. Sounds cynical, but some basic work flow behaviors should never change. They threw the baby, the piano, and the dog out with the bath water.

But the good news is, you can whip out some pretty cool stuff using third party effects etc. The text/title workflow is worlds better than let's say Sony Vegas. These are all my opinions, but I've spent two years trying to become bi-NLE. It's an interesting journey. Brace yourself.
Old December 1st, 2015, 10:49 PM   #6
Trustee

Besides the numerous on-line tutorials, one might consider a reference book. There undoubtably be situations where it will be faster and easier to just look in the index for how to do something in lieu of searching for how to do it on the Internet.

The book I started with was “Final Cut Pro X: Visual QuickStart Guide,” 1st Edition, by Brenneis and Wohl, Peachpit Press ©2012. This was written around version 10.0 and I choose this book over all the others at the time, both of ‘em (got into X shortly after it came out). Fortunately, today there are a lot of book options to choose from, but unfortunately, the difficult part would be selecting one.

As a further reference, using the book’s organization of chapters and sections as a guide, I put together a document using an outline that followed the book and as I came across more details the information would be added in. Links to articles and video tutorials were easy to add in with hyperlinks.

Looking down the road, putting in a plug for another useful application (and with a good bang-for-the-buck) is Motion 5.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 03:46 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Paul

I think you're doing exactly the right thing by using learning tools such as Larry Jordan and Lynda.com.

I've taught myself FCP X and used the above too. It makes sure you gets the basics right, so you don't develop bad habits, etc. Plus, with Lynda.com you can follow things in a logical way and you can also download the material and have it available on your phone and/or tablet. So, if you're editing on location and forget something, you can quickly and easily refer back to things.

I've come from a trained Avid background and now that I'm comfortable with FCP X, I find it so much quicker to ingest and edit, especially breaking down rushes. The magnetic timeline does take some getting used to, but if you go into it with an open mind, you won't have a problem. Also, learn the keyboard shortcuts as this will speed up your work even more.

It also seems to ingest virtually any codec from any camera. Other NLE's have more boundaries. For example, Avid isn't compatible with XAVC-S, so I can't use it when I shoot with my A7s.

Once you've grasped the basics, the internet can also help find any specific things you want. FCP X has many, many layers and is deeper than it looks on the surface.

Good luck.
Kevin Langdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 07:34 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks for all the great input. I will dive in two weeks from now after I finish a major rebuild on my site and of course end of year taxes.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 01:03 PM   #9
Major Player

I found Larry Jordan's presentations to be way too slow paced for my taste. Also, his monotone voice and feigned laughter were really annoying. I felt like I wasted my money.

This Izzy guy, however, seemed more fast paced, easier to understand, and his initial series was free, I think the charging started when you got to more advanced stuff. After doing his lessons, I got very fast in a short amount of time. Final Cut Pro X Tutorial, Web-Based and Free to Watch!

These folks offer some awesome plugins, and they're very reasonably priced. Final Cut Pro X Plugins - Professional Tools for FCPX

Good luck!

utm_campaign=Cyber+Monday+2015+2+%28azDf93%29&utm_medium=email&_ke=bXRudHZndXlAcS5jb20%3D&utm_source =Cyber+Monday+2015+2
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 01:18 PM   #10
Inner Circle

If you want a FCPX turorial book rather than video training I found Rick Young's one, he of moviemachine.tv fame, excellent. I am still on Adobe CS6 and CC...and I do some stuff in Vegas on a Windows box too. Rarely touch FCS2 nowadays...but one day soon I am hoping to cut a project in FCPX!

Final Cut Pro X - Win 3 copies from Movie Machine
Old December 2nd, 2015, 01:36 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Thanks Charles,

I went through the first three movies. He is ok, and keeps it pretty simple. As for Larry I do like his style and he has more detail right from the start. But with the other being free it is worth a look.

Also bookmarked the plugins.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 01:37 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Thanks Andy,

Looks like a good source.
Old December 5th, 2015, 08:45 AM   #13
Major Player

Thanks Charles, I have been looking for a resource on and off for FCPX and not really getting in to it because of lack of familiarity. These look like just the ticket for me to start learning. He charges for this course too, but only if you want to download it with the practice clips.
Old December 9th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I have another question:

With years of FCP 7 projects, and the software never making it on my 2014 Mac Pro, I need to access those projects for a few clients and my site.

Can FCP X import FCP 7 projects in tact?

If not is there a site I can download FCP 7? I own the FCP Studio 2 and upgrade but do not have CD drives on any of my computers.
Old December 9th, 2015, 07:44 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Can FCP X import FCP 7 projects intact?
Hi Paul.

Yes. There's an App in the App Store called "7toX for Final Cut Pro", which will convert your projects. Then you can directly open them in FCP X.
It works well and they constantly update it.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X