DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old September 4th, 2018, 03:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Workflow FCPX to Pro Tools

Hello, I am about to send my FCPX sound (of a short film) to some professsional sound people who work in Pro Tools and I wonder what the workflow is. I should use audio roles right? Do sub-roles also create separate tracks in Pro Tools?
What else should I be aware of?
Thanks
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2018, 01:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Workflow FCPX to Pro Tools

I just create new roles for each track that the sound people would want to process separately. Works great. Never used sub-roles.
Old September 5th, 2018, 02:20 PM   #3
Major Player

How do you export it?
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2018, 11:26 AM   #4
Supports LPFM Radio

Check out X2Pro from Marquis Broadcast. It converts an Final Cut Pro X XML file into an AAF file. Was a bit idiosyncratic last time I received an AAF from it, but it was being upgraded fairly regularly. Not sure it still is (not a slag... I'm just not keeping up with it):

https://x2pro.net

At least worth googling around to see if it'll work for you or if it's redundant to other methods...
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 11:38 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Skargren View Post
How do you export it?
Go to Share Master File. Click on the "Roles" tab and then pick "Audio Only as Separate Files" in the "Roles As:" pull down menu. You'll see all the roles you have assigned. The default export is wav files which is what I use. The result is as many stem files as roles the same length as your project.
Old May 6th, 2019, 06:00 PM   #6
Major Player

I just purchased X2Pro myself last week when I naively/shockingly realized you FCPX doesn't allow you to export an AAF or OMF for professional mixing. I'm only encountering it because I've just finished my first feature, but I have to imagine a ton of people would want that functionality. Premiere lets you export an AAF. Crazy. Anyway, I'll keep folks posted if it works, but it at this point it appears to be doing so. I reached directly out to X2Pro as well to get on their radar, and see if they had any video training (because I couldn't find any from them) and they were very responsive (though they hadn't created any useful training, they pointed me to a older video that did. If anybody is interested, I'll link to that video they recommended.

There's definitely a series of steps you have to do to make sure everything comes out of your project correctly (detaching and deleting all audio from muted clips for example). Good thing is there's this running log X2Pro generates while you're exporting your AAF, that gives you info on a variety of stuff. If for example you have a file it's referencing but the original file isn't present anymore and you need to Relink the files, it will catch it and stop the AAFs export until you solve the problem.It also tells you all of the adjustments you made inside the project that are being lost on export (Compression, Voiceover Enhancement, Denoising, etc.) Attached a screenshot of that.
Attached Thumbnails
Workflow FCPX to Pro Tools-screen-shot-2019-05-06-4.52.40-pm.png  
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2019, 04:36 PM   #7
Major Player

Update, this application ended up working great for me. I sent the AAF for approval to the Post Production Sound Facility and they reviewed it and said it was perfect. I basically followed the first half fo the video that it's creators (Marquis Broadcast) recommended and it went swimmingly. Link to the video below. It take's a little bit of cleanup on your end, and making sure your Roles are named correctly but after that you're in business. Still can't believe this functionality isn't built into FCPX!

Josh Hayes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X