convert 29.97 to 23.98 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old October 4th, 2021, 08:34 AM   #1
Inner Circle

convert 29.97 to 23.98

After out first day of shooting, I get 23.98 clips from the audio guy and 29.97 clips from the shooter who was told that we were looking for 23.98. "I've been shooting 29.97 for 30 years!"

The sync worked in FCP on the time line for one clip I tried with the timeline at 23.98, but I haven't rendered it out. The producer is looking for "a film look", therefore 23.98.

Can I convert the day's footage from 29.97 to 23.98 without problems or do I just tell the producers there may be some plug ins that might giver him a filmier look and stick with 29.97?

Two camera and audio begin in two days.
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2021, 06:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: convert 29.97 to 23.98

Hi Ty nice to see you again, albeit with a problem. Looks like I’m the only one on deck right now, so before you shoot the shooter, here’s a thread that might help …

https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-c...23-98-fps.html

Or this https://fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro...orted-to-23-98

Stay safe.
Cheers.
Old October 5th, 2021, 07:11 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hello Allan,

A familiar name! Hope you're doing well.

Thanks fo the link. It actually came up in a search I did yesterday.

As a result of this situation, I'm firing myself from the project. :)

Regards,

Ty
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2021, 07:24 AM   #4
Wrangler

I think it should be pretty straightforward to convert your clips and it should turn out pretty well. See this:

https://support.apple.com/guide/fina...er3363b44e/mac

However, if you have already added clips with the wrong frame rate to a project, that can be problematic, I got bit by this recently. I created a project with some still images and then added footage at 29.97fps. All appeared to be fine after editing but I noticed the video looked a bit odd. Looking closer, it turned out that FCP decided my still images were 24fps and since I added them first, it set the whole project to 24p which caused my 29.97 clips to be re-sampled. I couldn't find any way to correct this and get the whole project to 29.97. Finally gave up and started over with a new project, making sure the stills were identified as 29.97.

Was also recently frustrated when some clips from my iPhone were identified as 30p while my XDCAM footage was 29.97 in the same project. Again, this looked ok at first, but the audio went out of sync after a few minutes. There's supposed to be a way to correct that, but I had problems there and finally ended up manually adjusting the speed of the 30p footage to match.

Anyway, the lesson I learned was to look very carefully at the properties of each clip before adding to a project. It's pretty easy to conform them before but can be a nightmare if you mix and match in the same project.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X