DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 10th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Exporting from FC Studio 2 to Playstation 3

Has anyone tried exporting HD content from Final Cut Studio 2 to a Playstation 3's hard drive via ethernet, or is burninga blu-ray disc the only option?

thanks
Old August 11th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Kalunga,

I have been experimenting with this with very good results. In fact, after research I don't really see the affordability of burning a blu-ray being there yet and not from the Mac easily.

I have been using Quicktime Pro to do it from a source HDV movie as I have not figured out the best way to set up Compressor yet.

See the attached quicktime settings for what I recently used with good results. The PS3 is very picky about the MP4 settings that you use so that you end up with an 'AVC' format file.

I am using Vilvic Media Center to connect to the PS3 from my Macbook and move the resulting MP4 files.

If anyone else has any settings that work well with the PS3, please post.
Attached Thumbnails
Exporting from FC Studio 2 to Playstation 3-video-ps3.jpg   Exporting from FC Studio 2 to Playstation 3-audio-ps3.jpg  

Bryan Suthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Bryan for your reply, I agree that blu-ray burning is still an expensive proposition and the PS3 may provide an alternative solution for the near future until Mac makes it a feature on future machines and in FCS2.

I wish there was a simpler way of networking a PS3 to a MacPro. Vilvic Media Center seems daunting.

Someone on another thread also made the following suggestion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw View Post
I can render HDV 1080/60i files from my editing timeline to a USB2 hard drive and use that to stream video from the PS3 to a 1080p LCD display. This looks great and is much easier than trying to burn a DVD (either SD or HD).
Old August 12th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Kalunga,

USB is an alternative as well. Unfortunately the USB drives I have don't seem to cooperate with the PS3. I think they need more power.
Bryan Suthard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite