DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 4th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Where do I start??

I am shooting 1080i 24f on a Canon XH A1 and editing on a new Mac Pro with Final Cut Pro 6. I am using my camera as a deck, tethered to the Mac via firewire.

Is there a way of ingesting my tapes in one shot rather than having to select in and out points, and consequently end up playing each tape at least twice. Can I smply press play on the camera and record somewhere in FCP and copy the tapes to a hard drive and then log and capture into projects/timelines from there?

Thanks, Rich
Richard Siberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #2
Trustee

When you invoke "Log & Capture" at the bottom right you'll see three buttons under the word Capture.

CLIP on the left
BATCH on the right

and in the center the lovely capture NOW button.

It does just that. Captures whatever is steaming in NOW.

The only issues are the speed of your system's throughput - the speed of your drives injest - whether you have timecode breaks or something else that will knock stop the capture - and drive capacity (when they get full, things stop!)

My recommendation is to limit Capture Now sessions to blocks of 15-20 minutes, not because longer doesn't work, but because if you get a failure, it's nice to be able to go back and just recapture the last block rather than, say, a 50 minute clip.

Good luck.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite