Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 31st, 2003, 08:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sdi Deck

Hey Folks,

I have a video card with SDI, and Im looking for a decent playback deck. Im using mini DV. Does anyone have any suggestions. I thought I would check here before I got sick from research. The research I have done already is making the room spin. HELP!!!
Michael
Michael Estepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 06:57 AM   #2
Warden

I'm not sure what you want to do. SDI is like FireWire, they are a means of moving digital information. SDI is not a video format, but a means of moving uncompressed video. FireWire can move uncompressed video also. Most of the decks that support SDI either support DVCam (Sony) or DVCPRO 50 (Panasonic). Do you have a preference as to formats to record to? SDI (uncompressed) out of your card and recorded in DV format will still be compressed 5:1. DV is a compressed format, no way around it.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 07:12 AM   #3
Major Player

Jeff,

the tv monitor i have, has sdi in, would that be better to use than s-video for colour correction?

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 10:11 AM   #4
Regular Crew

well my video card has sdi in/outs only.... so i have to go in SDI from a deck... and I shoot in miniDV... see my problem?
Michael Estepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 08:32 PM   #5
Warden

Zac, what do you have that will output uncompressed video. Think of SDI as a pipe, what are you going to flow through the pipe?

Yes, uncompressed video is better to view than compressed video, for critical color evaluation and correction.

Michael,

Sony has some high end DVCam decks that support SDI input and internally transcode the video to DV.

DSR 1800 has SDI and FireWire as an option ( FW requires optional board). It plays back mini DV without an adapter, but may not record mini DV (I'm not sure). This replaces the DSR 85 which had some quality issues transcoding via the SDI in put to DV.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2003, 11:22 PM   #6
Major Player

Jeff i dunno,

The tv itself has a sdi input... if i had an output couldn't i could plug right in, i really dunno much about it.

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2003, 07:07 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I appriciate the information. I was hopping for something less then 2g. That one I looked up and it is 10g. Is there much of difference If I bypass the SDI using Fire wire... I haven't captured with the SDI yet. Im sure there is a difference. I really cant afford something like that though. Its a shame.
Michael Estepp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite