How to gete NASA file into FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 14th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How to gete NASA file into FCP

I downloaded the "Great Zoom into Los Angeles, CA: The Hollywood Sign" file, the 1280x720 option to the left of top pic, from NASA at this url: http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a002100/a002108/

It says it's an MPEG-2 file, 84 mgs. Though when I click on it in the folder on my MB Pro 2.33 it says MPEG-1.

Anyway, I can download it and play in the VLC player. But I can't export it to any kind of file that will open in QT, much less FCP.

Any ideas what to do?

best,
lmr
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #2
Major Player

Hello,

Try using Mpeg Steamclip, it is a free program you can download.. And I am pretty sure it will convert your file to a useable foramt..

look here:

http://www.squared5.com/
Old September 14th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply, Mike, but I tried MS and it wouldn't even open the file.

I'm stumped.

lmr
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #4
Trustee

Although it might be a little costly, there is a solution you might consider, but I make no guarantees.

After reading your post I decided to download the file and see if it would open and export in any of my apps also, but just like you, I had a no-go. I could also open it in VLC, but not in anything else, nor could I open it in QT to export into something else.

I already trashed the file, so I'm not currently able to try this out, but have you tried using a screen captue utilit like Snapz Pro, with the video capture feature? There are also a few other apps out there that capture screen video also, but Snapz Pro is the only one I can think of.. (I think it costs about $69)

If you have enough system resources, theoretically you could open up the file in VLC or their web viewer and just run a Snapz Pro screen capture video during playback and then save your captured file in your preferred video format.

Now, I should add that they may have it encoded in such a way as to deter folks specifically from trying to download, manipulate or even use the file, but aside from that, I'm just presenting a theoretical methodology.

-Jon
Old September 15th, 2007, 01:48 AM   #5
Major Player

I also downloaded it, and couldn't open it in anything other than VLC. I tried doing an export in VLC, but I couldn't figure it out. My next step is going to boot up Parallels and see if anything in Windows can re-encode it.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 11:03 AM   #6
Major Player

Video screen capture is what I'd go with as well.
Or, if you can, output your monitor's signal to another device and record through that... if you're lucky enough to have s-video out, etc.

Windows might be a decent idea, if you just search for freeware. Not enough of it on OSX, sadly.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #7
Major Player

I booted up Windows and used that Super C program, and from there, I was able to convert it to pretty much any format. If you're going to be editing in Final Cut, I'd use Super C to convert it to uncompressed (I didn't check if that was an option), and then use MPEG Streamclip to convert it to HDV or whatever your preferred format is.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #8
Regular Crew

can you not just download the PNG frames and them import as an image sequence? I know Premier will do that.
Gregg Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 04:20 PM   #9
Major Player

Also if you can do it on windows a program called Fraps will capture from Google earth and such. Give that a try
John Cash is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite