Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 19th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #1
New Boot

Reinstalled but FCP 5.0.1 still won't run

Hi,
I have not been able to run FCP on my machine for an extended period, and despite trying the usual methods, ie - deleting preferences, FCP rescue, and even re-installing, I have come no further. FCP always stalls on the serial number dialog box, and goes no further, showing up as not responding in the Activity Monitor. After the reinstall, I was not asked for the serial number as I was the first time I installed. Could this have something to do with the reinstall having no effect, and if so, what might I have done wrong during the process?

Am getting pretty frantic here, and really hoping for an option other than reinstalling the whole OS all over again which I have never done before.

Is there any hope?

-Thanks in advance,

Tom
Tom Rosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Have you tried using a Mac-utility program such as Onyx? If not, I highly suggest you download (it's free) Onyx, run ALL of it's maintenance and cleaning routines, then manually delete every file created by the FCP install (Apple has white-paper in their support section for where to find all these files/folders).

Then prior to the install, make sure you have the latest updates for all your Apple software, especially the OS and Quicktime. Once you've done all that try reinstalling FCP. If that still doesn't work then you may have serious directory issues with the OS; purchase and run Disk Warrior and fix the directory.

If all that fails, then a clean install of the OS is your only solution.
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #3
New Boot

S.M.A.R.T status not verified?

Hi,

I have run ONYX fiarly recently ie after my troubles began, but at the beginning of the program the start up disk S.M.A.R.T staus always comes up not supported by disk and unverified. All the rest of the procedures seem to run fine, but I have had no improvement with the apps that are giving me grief.

Any insights into this S.M.A.R.T staus issue and what it means for my machine/ONYX functions etc?

Thanks
Tom Rosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

Disable the "smart" status checking on the drives; it's a utility that is supposed to talk the internal self-checking firmware on the drives to see if there are any physical issues.

As I mentioned, you may have serious directory issues with the OS. Purchase and run Disk Warrior (your local Apple Store should have a copy). If that doesn't fit your problems then you're looking at a clean re-install of the OS.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite