Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 7th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #1
Major Player

FCP Install Problem and rendering question

A problem and a question.

The problem: I just purchased FC Studio and cannot complete the install. It asks for the original install disk, then Audio Files 1 (of three). It then asks for the install disk again and then quits, saying it encountered a problem. I can start up and run FC, though it act's a bit wierd. Apple says the install disc is probably bad and they are sending a new one.

Has anyone had this problem? I'm just trying to trouble-shoot in the event it is not the disc.

The question: I'm using FC with the limited install. Don't know what effect that has. Nothing is rendering automatically. That seems unusual since it was auto when I took a workshop, even when working with HD format. I've been messing with the formats (HD, HDTV etc) so maybe that has some effect bit even without the format changes nothing will render unless I use the render command.

Am I missing something or is there a format incompatibility that is causing this?

Thanks very much
Bob
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #2
Major Player

I just installed FCS2 on my system. The installation went fine. However, after installing, Final Cut Pro 6 simply didn't open. Everything else (Compressor, etc.) loaded fine. You clicked the FCP icon and it started loading, and then suddenly stopped - nothing happened. Didn't even make it to the splash screen. However, after a software update everything was OK. Big relief!

Obviously your installation disks are faulty, however, maybe a software update might be the solution? It could, by chance, install the files that your original installation missed? Give it a shot while your waiting for Apple to send you the new ones...
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm updating my own post in case anyone else stumbles upon the same experience. FC installed partially on my computer, key components (effects, templates for DVD Pro etc) were missing.

The installer would run, ask for the Audio Content disc and then stop. Apple was kind enough to send another installer disc, assuming the first one was corrupt. This did not resolve the problem. In the end, the solution was to re-format the system drive and re-install the OS. Apple suggested installing FC before installing my other software (Adobe Premiere Suite is the next largest app I have ) and this worked fine. Not sure why, maybe FC saw something it didn't like and refused to install.

So: if you're having trouble installing, consider doing an Erase and Install of the OS AFTER backing up your data and then install FC before your other apps.

Bob
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Something to try before doing a reformat of the drive is to repair permissions on the startup disk with DiskUtility. Built as it is on unix, a lot of problems with OS X can be traced to file permissions issues.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite