DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 17th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F Miller View Post
One of the common criticisms of Apple's product line is that it is closed - i.e., OS X is only available and supported for Apple's hardware.

In one instance, there is a distinct advantage: if you want to use OS X then you know what you will be getting hardware-wise.

In the Windows' world, there are an untold number of hardware vendors. Even though the OS is the same, the experience with the whole system can vary dramatically from excellent to so frustrating you want to through the thing through the window (no pun intended).
John put it best. In this business, you want a stable money making machine. I use Premiere on windows, and learned this lesson the hard way. While whining about all kinds of CS3 issues on two well known systems, others are having good results. There's simply too much in configuration and compatibilities that can go wrong. I don't have the time to play IT in order to meet a deadline. Time wasted on forums and dealing with PC issues is money lost.

Out of the Box, the Mac's will hit the floor running. I know, I use both, with the exception of editing. That is going to change. I'm switching to FCP on macpro. I'll glady exchange plugins and eye candy for good solid editing.

I quit making this a Mac vs Windows thing. I'll just use both.
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #17
Major Player

Ya I have yet to part ways with my pc with premiere and avid on it but I may be selling it soon to buy hardware like a matrox mxo for the mac.
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:03 AM   #18
Major Player

This question makes it hard to sidestep the platform war debate, so i'll shut up, except to say switching from Prem Pro on a PC to FCS on the mac was the best move i've made since i started taking video seriously.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Stevenson View Post
This question makes it hard to sidestep the platform war debate, so i'll shut up, except to say switching from Prem Pro on a PC to FCS on the mac was the best move i've made since i started taking video seriously.
Dom, could you elaborate?
I'm not interested in a platform war either, and I'm almost definately going to upgrade from Premiere Pro on PC to FCS on Mac too, (first have to find the money, and a potential good deal), but I would like to know more details around this, WHY it's better.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
Dom, could you elaborate?
I'm not interested in a platform war either, and I'm almost definately going to upgrade from Premiere Pro on PC to FCS on Mac too, (first have to find the money, and a potential good deal), but I would like to know more details around this, WHY it's better.

The best deal I found on a complete system was with Brian owner of zotz digital they are one of our sponsors on the forum and for good reason I might add. I would definitly check them out before you get you system. Gary
http://www.zotzdigital.com
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #21
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Chan View Post
--The file systems are different.
HFS: Windows can't read or write to it.
NTFS: OS X can't write to them.
FAT32: Both platforms can read/write. But you can't have files bigger than
It is possible to read and write to NTFS drives in OS X using a program called MacFUSE (http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/). Full read speed but a little slower on the write, but it should get better with revisions.
Marlowe Northcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams View Post
The best deal I found on a complete system was with Brian owner of zotz digital they are one of our sponsors on the forum and for good reason I might add. I would definitly check them out before you get you system. Gary
http://www.zotzdigital.com
Thanks Gary, I'll definately check them out, but I have a pretty close friend that maybe would sell his recent Macbook Pro 17inch, if a new one comes out...
Don't know sure about that, but I'll definately check the link, maybe it has some interesting things for me!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite