DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 17th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Please Help!

I edited a wedding reception, and then exported a Quicktime movie.
So, I then deleted my captured clips to make more room for my next project.

Problem is that I have a finished reception movie that has no sound, for whatever reason.

I opened up my original Final Cut project for the reception, but since I deleted my individual captured files, the media is offline.

Do I have to edit this whole mess again?

Can I capture entire tapes and Final Cut can figure out the math to fill in the corresponding edits?

(My capture process involves capturing lots of little clips so I have less cutting to do. Would this make downloading an entire tape not work, since the clips would have to be the exact same length as the originals?)

I am editing HDV clips.BTW
James Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #2
Trustee

It may be a little time consuming, but certainly you should be able to simply recapture your source material from the your raw tapes from within you edited timeline, which will restore your material, and keep all your edits intact.

It should also be a pretty simple process if you properly organized your raw tapes to know which content is on which tapes.

Right clicking (or ctrl-click) on your clips in your timeline (the ones that say 'media offline') will allow to see your options, one of which is to capture. Selecting this will bring up your log and capture window. If you have the proper tape in your deck, you can then initiate your capture as before. (The only caveat is that if your initial capture involved the whole tape at once, it might require doing that again, even if you only need a small amount of footage - I really can't remember if it just takes what it needs or whatever.)

If your raw content is on different tapes, you may have to do this on a clip by clip basis. Again, it has been a while and I just can't remember. In any case, after it is done, you content should be restored once again right in your timeline, with all the edits intact, including any filtering you have have added to your clips. You may have to re-render them again though.

Before you do the export the next time, make sure you double check your settings to determine why you have no audio, and then review your export thoroughly before trashing your captured content. But I'm sure you've already come to that conclusion.

Good luck with this. I hope it goes smoothly.

-Jon
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Jonathon. It's working. :)
James Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #4
Trustee

Right on.
-J.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite