FCS 5.1.4 not working with Leapord!!!(neither is Motion 2) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 27th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCS 5.1.4 not working with Leapord!!!(neither is Motion 2)

Has anybody experienced this, or am I the only one?

If anyone has installed Leapord, and FCS is working, let me know what you did.

Also, especially if it did NOT work, and you fixed the problem, let me know what you did.

I spent 2 hours on the phone with Apple and did not get to speak with someone about the issue.

Do I need to take all of FCS and all the other apps off, and then re-install FCS to work with Leapord?

I would appreciate some help with the matter.

Leapord is REALLY cool otherwise though.

nearsightedproductions.com
Joseph Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hutson View Post
Has anybody experienced this, or am I the only one?
I don't have Leopard, but it looks like you aren't alone. You might want to check Apple's support forums here, there are a few threads: http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=939
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

If you read the posts carefully from those who are complaining about apps not working properly, they have all done an *upgrade* install of 10.5, not clean. Read this from one of my posts on this forum:

One thing I want to point out about anyone considering upgrading to Leopard: You *absolutely MUST* do a clean-install - do not "upgrade" from 10.4. Unlike the change from 10.3 to .4 which was mostly a face-lift on memory handling and a few new features, Leopard is a paradigm shift in Mac OSX; everthing from how the Finder operates to audio codec handling and most especially video rendering engines is a complete code-rewrap, not just a enhancement of a previous OS.

The caveat - as with any major OS changes - is to completely finish any projects you are currently working on and deliver them to your clients *before* you make the upgrade. I guarantee, that all versions of FCS will have some serious bugs that need to be worked out on the first iteration of 10.5 that won't be addressed until the first couple of service-pack updates. Keep your 10.4 install disks or better yet, make a complete image of your boot drive just in case Leopard gives you some deep cat-scratches when trying to work with the pro apps their first time out on the new OS.

If you want FCS and other pro apps to work properly, save-off all your required data (emails, docs, pics etc) wipe the install drive and clean-install 10.5 then re-install your apps in the clean environment.

I tested FCS2 on my MacBookPro on a clean 10.5 install today; everything works great. Once I finish my big project this week I'll be doing the same to my MacPro.

For those who need to know: AJA and ATTO have Leopard-certified drivers.
Old October 27th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I sit possible to re-install with a clean instal, or is it too late?

If it is possible, ow do I go about doing that?
Old October 27th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #5
Wrangler

As Robert suggested, the first step before doing any OS upgrade should be a complete backup of your boot drive to another bootable drive, so you can always go back to the previous version. If you didn't do this then it may be too late to go back. But you could still backup everything to preserve all your user files and applications.

It's never too late to do a clean install, but you will need to wipe your drive and will therefore lose all existing data. That's why you need to have the backup. I'm assuming that Leopard is like other versions of MacOSX and will offer you a chance to migrate all your old data and applications from the backup disk.
Old October 27th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

How do you even wipe out the drive?

also, that means I will have to reinstall all apps right?

that means, "iLife, FCS, Motion, Compressor, DVD SP, Logic Pro, and the list goes on right?
Old October 27th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #7
Wrangler

Again, I don't have 10.5, so things might be different. But with other versions there was an option to erase and install. This wipes your hard drive and installs a clean version of the operating system. Afterwards the installer asks if you want to move your data from another machine and you can browse to find the external drive where you cloned your data.

You should be able to choose whether you want to move only your user files or also your applications. When I migrated to 10.4 I moved applications and user files, and while I found a few glitches here and there it was easier to fix them than to re-install all my software from the original disks.

Your mileage may vary. But I think the lesson here is not to charge ahead blindly an OS upgrade the first day it hits the market. Wait a little while and learn from the mistakes of others. Unfortunately this time around you're one of those "others"...

I hope you resolve your problems quickly. From what I've been reading this is a good upgrade and should be compatible with most existing software.
Old October 27th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #8
Regular Crew

It is a great OS, and if only there wasn't this single problem, I would me ecstatic.

I LOVE the photo booth, and iChat
Old October 27th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #9
Wrangler

At least you aren't experiencing BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) problems like some users. See the following: http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...00710261517596
Old October 27th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #10
Wrangler

The Archive and Install has been very successful as well for those who tried just doing a Basic Upgrade and had problems. As I mentioned elsewhere, one of the main issues has been people who have installed some 3rd party OS hacks. One of them being APE by Unsanity. It uses API calls that Apple says are a no-no in their SDK. Leopard does not support that particular API call. Going into terminal and removing some related files has allowed people to boot up fine even when they did a basic upgrade.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite