DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 29th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A question for experience editor

I'm starting a project that will be integrating HD footage with SD footage and now I see Final Cut Pro 6 (which we will be using) can edit both and any kind of aspect ratio on the same timeline.

I want to make things easy and keep things simple by shooting on one format (720p24) for the HD camera and then the same for the standard def cam (460p24). Will this be an issue when it comes down to finalizing the sequence to be put on a DVD?

All of these different formats begins to confuse a person on how or what they should do.

Will compressor do the job of making all these different types of aspect ratios (1080i, 720, 460) and convert the file into a format that will work on both SD and HD televisions?

Thanks for any information you can provide in this matter.

Best,

Josh Woll
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Yes

You can mix aspect ratios, frame rates, resolutions and even NTSC and PAL video in the same timeline. If you're going to output in HD, then you should work in a DVC PRO HD 1280x720 24 frame timeline. All standard frame rates are supported for mixing, 24,25, 30, 50i and 60. Use compressor to output your HD Mpeg format as well as your SD 16x9 format. There is an option for letterbox in DVD Studio Pro, so when watched on a 4:3 television, it will be letter-boxed.

*e
Eric Dyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 05:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Eric!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite