FCP: Effects>Filters>...>FXPlugs not working at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 2nd, 2007, 10:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP: Effects>Filters>...>FXPlugs not working

Hi, I upgraded to Leopard and in Final Cut Studio 1 (FCP 5.1.4) any filter labeled as FXPlug in the bin under Effects Class show up as "...has failed to render" in the timeline. I looked around a bit and figured the FXPlugs were from Motion so I launched and started a project in Motion for the first time under Leopard and the FCP FXPlugs seemed to come back for a day or two. Now they're not working again. So I repeat the process, relaunch FCP and they're back.

I don't use Motion at all and it's not a huge pain to go through this constantly but does anyone know of this issue and how to correct it for good? I've used the FXPlugs in many big projects and the thought of replacing them all would be a huge pain. In FCP under Effects>Effect Availability> I have "All Effects" selected.

Thanks.

Mac Pro 2 X 2.66 Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 5 GB RAM (Shows as OK in About this Mac)
Paul E. Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:52 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Welcome to the forum, Paul.

If you installed both the OS and applications OVER the older versions this is probably what has caused the problem. Instead you need to do a *clean install* of the OS and then install FCP. If however you did a clean installation of both and you're still having issues there is another thing to check...

All FXPlug filters are GPU accelerated, that means they are rendered on the video card, not in the MacPro CPU. It's possible Leopard doesn't have the right drivers for your video card - yet. This is a known bug with certain video card drivers and Leopard compatibility and Apple should address this in the next service update of 10.5.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 11:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Understood...

Final Cut Studio 1 was already on my Mac running via OS X 10.4.10 and all I did was upgrade to Leopard, leaving FCS untouched. I'll wait and see what the future upgrades bring, while I gather all of my "other" software for a clean install.

Thanks.
Paul E. Coleman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite