Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 11th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #1
Inner Circle

New Mac Pro's... when?

Hi,

I'm in the market for buying a new Mac Pro, but I've heard rumors about new Mac Pro's coming. Now, I know that Apple doesn't announce any upgrades, but just releases it suddenly, so I know that if someone will say what he thinks, it's in the first place an opinion and a rumor, but not a fact.
That being said...

CONSIDERING the HISTORY OF MAC PRO'S, so for anyone who has a bit of experience with Apple and releasing computers (I don't), what would be the biggest bet?
I've heard things between November and January, and I know that's probably the only thing most people know for sure, but is there someone who has some insiders information, or (considering the history) is pretty sure of a certain period?

Thanks,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

As far as I remember, Apple usually releases new models after the holiday season is over. Late winter or early spring.

P.
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You might find some help here.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
Old November 11th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

Historically Apple - like other manufacturers - will offer "new" machines that are only incrementally faster than their predecessors, although the glossy, full-page web-ads will have you thinking the small step-up will be like moving at warp speed.

A good rule of thumb is not to upgrade the CPU/mainboard until it's calculative speed is at least double your current model. With that logic, you'd be well-off with an 8-core machine and Leopard, and I would not consider anything newer until they either introduce a 16-core or, a revised CPU that literally has more than double the processing power of an 8-core. I doubt that machine will become a reality in the next iteration of MacPro's only an incremental step-up.

It's worth noting that Leopard has significantly improved processing power on all Mac's and especially the 8-core, mainly due to Leopards completely revamped memory and CPU workload management.

I think there are two other things more important than processing power to watch for from Apple: 1) A new MacPro that has either internal HD-DVD or Blu-Ray burners (or both) and; 2) DVDSP5 and finally allow native Blu-Ray authoring. It was hoped that by NAB this year it would have been announced, maybe by NAB '08 it finally will.
Old November 11th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
A good rule of thumb is not to upgrade the CPU/mainboard until it's calculative speed is at least double your current model.
I'm now working with a 1GB Ram 3.2 Multicore processor, PC, not Mac :-D So it would be a step-up, sure!
(What is actually the difference between a Multicore and a Dual core? is a Multicore like multiple cores... in one core? Don't understand exactly)
Old November 11th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #6
Major Player

Multi = many; dual = two. Multi might be 32, but I'd guess it's just 2.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Ross View Post
Multi = many; dual = two. Multi might be 32, but I'd guess it's just 2.
I've read more about it and it seems I have a processor that has Hyper Threading, which makes the processor BELIEVE it has 2 cores...
Old November 12th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #8
Major Player

new chip in January

Just read today that Intel is releasing a new series of chips in about 45 days. Double the transistor count of their current line. I would expect to see them in the Mac before too long.
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #9
Trustee

Apparently these new chips are capable of being nearly 45% quicker than the current models. But only if the software takes advantage of the new instruction set (SSE4?)
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite