Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 22nd, 2007, 12:00 PM   #1
Major Player

What's your screen setup?

Hi!
I have to upgrade my screen for (professional) video editing and I wonder what's the best setup. A large flat tv? Two ordinary 4:3 screens? One big computer screen? Do you really need a separate preview monitor? Is it needed to be able to view interlaced? Would appreciate your opinion and experiences. All screen shots or pics of your setup appreciated.

Last edited by Urban Skargren; November 23rd, 2007 at 09:34 AM.
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 05:01 PM   #2
Trustee

Urban.

When you're editing you'll spend most of your time on a computer screen. Most folks believe that the more screen area you have - the better. That's because you'll have room for more timeline, more of your editing software's interface windows showing, and larger views of your footage in both the Viewer and Canvas windows.

The point of actual video monitors SEPARATE from your computer interface display is to be able to see your footage as the eventual viewer will see it.

The computer monitors will essentially be non-interlaced with a computers color gamut and appearance.

The VIDEO monitor shows you what the OUTPUT will look like when it hits a TV.

Computer displays and VIDEO monitors are very different things.

You need BOTH for producing quality video work.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 09:38 AM   #3
Major Player

What about reasoning like this - as long as customers use interlaced tv:s, we'll need interlaced preview also, but when they all have moved to flat (progressive) screens we won't need an interlaced preview monitor, only 1-3 flat screens. And since modern tv:s and computer screens are more or less the same thing, it doesn't matter which I have. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite