DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 29th, 2007, 06:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Aspect Problem in QT

I'm sure I'm missing something simple but here goes.
I have edited a sequence, shot in HDV at 1080p24 on a Canon XHA1 in FCP6. My sequence is set to 1440x1080, which is apparently the native dimension of this cameras HDV frame. Every time I try to export this sequence as a QT movie the aspect goes from 16:9 as seen in the timeline to 4:3 in the QT movie. I realise that 1440x1080 is infact a 4:3 ratio and not a 16:9 ratio but even when I specify in the QT export a true 16:9 setting, such as 1920x1080 the aspect ratio of the finished QT movie is still 4:3 with lateral squeezing and vertical stretching. I am pushing a deadline and am getting very frustrated with this.
I really appreciate your help.
Rich.
Richard Siberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Richard,

are you exporting H.264 in QuickTime? When doing that from FCP (Export -> Using Compressor), among the many settings you can tweak inside Compressor is the output resolution/aspect ratio. Whatever default settings you are using must be for a 4:3 aspect ratio. Find the output resolution, change it to something that is 16:9, and you should be good to go!

- Martin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite