DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 16th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

On timecode break: Make new clip NOT WORKING

My footage was recorded on a Sony Z1U in HDV, my deck is a Sony HVR-M10U, computer is a Dual 2ghz with 10.4.11 install and I am working in Final Cut Pro 6.0.2.

I have selected create new clip on time code break. When the tape gets to a timecode break, the deck just stutters. It can never get through the first timecode break.

I have about 50 tapes that need to be log and captured and I would really like to figure this out.

Thanks in advance.
Tim Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #2
Trustee

try going back to 6.0.1. ideally 5.0.4 because thats the last rev of FCP that actually worked reliably with start/stop detection with HDV native capture. there is pretty much nothing you can do about it except complain to apple here and let them know it doesn't work and they need to fix it.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

they claimed 720P HDV capture fixes but I have not seen them. Start/Stop detection doesn't work, it just generates a stream error thats stops capture. If anything they made it worse.

if you want to reliably capture any HDV format I suggest using the 422 control port and the analog component or HD SDI / DHMI output and capture to DVCpro100 if you must, or ideally ProRes if you have a intel or Quad G5.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Have you tried capturing a different tape? Have you tried capturing from a different deck or your camera? FW deck control + finding TC breaks = slow (typically). Especially decks like the 10U which have camera transports and not the higher quality deck transports.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Snyder View Post
My footage was recorded on a Sony Z1U in HDV, my deck is a Sony HVR-M10U, computer is a Dual 2ghz with 10.4.11 install and I am working in Final Cut Pro 6.0.2.

I have selected create new clip on time code break. When the tape gets to a timecode break, the deck just stutters. It can never get through the first timecode break.

I have about 50 tapes that need to be log and captured and I would really like to figure this out.

Thanks in advance.
Try setting your post roll and pre roll to 1 in you audio and video settings this may help.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
try going back to 6.0.1. ideally 5.0.4 because thats the last rev of FCP that actually worked reliably with start/stop detection with HDV native capture. there is pretty much nothing you can do about it except complain to apple here and let them know it doesn't work and they need to fix it.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

they claimed 720P HDV capture fixes but I have not seen them. Start/Stop detection doesn't work, it just generates a stream error thats stops capture. If anything they made it worse.

if you want to reliably capture any HDV format I suggest using the 422 control port and the analog component or HD SDI / DHMI output and capture to DVCpro100 if you must, or ideally ProRes if you have a intel or Quad G5.
I thought I didn't have problems with FCP5! anyway, glad I just got a Focus Enhancement's drive.. (HD100 to go with my JVC HD110 camcorder) but it works with Sony format and they other units that are not specific for the JVC HD100/200 series camcorders. Just make sure you get a Pro version so it captures native HDV in with a quicktime wrapper. Captured 10 tapes last night.. no issues.. then dragged and dropped into my Raid. Took about 30 minutes for 9 hours of footage. (transfer from HD100 to I-mac to G-Raid)

anyway, no issues, no drops, no problems. works as advertised.. weird... I think I'll have to pinch myself.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite