Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 21st, 2007, 06:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

External monitor on an iMac 20"

Hi,

I have one of the above flat beasts, and would like to use an external monitor/tv as a control monitor during editing.

I bought Apple's Mini-DVI to DVI converter and I also have the DVI to Composite/S-Video converter from Apple - but this doesn't fit into the Mini-DVI converter. There are 4 extra pins on the Composite plug and no room for these on the Mini-DVI to DVI converter.

How do you folks connect an external monitor or a TV to the Mini-DVI output on the back of the iMac? I looked all over the net to no avail, but surely someone must have come up with a (clever) solution....?

Peter in Denmark
Peter Erfurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The 4 extra pins on the composite plug are the necessary pins for your purpose to carry the ANALOG signals to the S-Video/composite end. The mini-DVI to DVI adapter from Apple is a DIGITAL only adapter (DVI-D) and lacks the 4 pins which carry the ANALOG signal. I don't know whether the 20" iMac's mini DVI output carries analog signals but if it does then what you need is a mini-DVI to DVI-A (analog) or DVI-I (analog and digital) adapter. See the link for more information:

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

P.
Pedanes Bol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 06:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Pedanes,

Thanks a lot for your reply - that cleared a great deal of the mystery :-)

And the link was indeed helpfull too. Never realized there were that many "DVI-standards". So now I at least know what cable I'm looking for, and hopefully I can get my second monitor up and running here between Christmas and New Year.

Once again, thanks for your help!

Kind regards

Peter
Peter Erfurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hej

I have a IMac and I have a external monitor for FCP and Imovie 6 for color correcting etc. and I tap a signal via Firewire to a DV-converter box and from that to my CRT monitor.

You can also use a DV camera that has analog out as a converter

I donīt want to occupy the DVI port since I also shortly will get a second flat screen and then I need that port

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite