An open-ended and (hopefully) fun FCS2 question. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 22nd, 2007, 09:52 AM   #1
Major Player

An open-ended and (hopefully) fun FCS2 question.

Hey guys,

I'm a PPro guy making the transition to FCS2. I'm babysitting a suite for the next 10 days with a decent sized project to keep me busy - the main goal being to hop in and learn some software. My background is in programming/web design/etc so I'm quite fast at picking up applications - so here is my question:

I am taking this project from start to finish, and want to utilize as many parts of the FCS2 suite as possible - while learning how to make them effective tools for speed-oriented production. I am currently planning on utilizing Color, Motion, and Soundtrack, but I am not sure if I will be able to continue to use them on paid production work unless I can produce results with them in a similar time to the base edits available in FCP. Any suggestions to build a solid, fast workflow? I'm a big fan of heavy color grading, and trying to force myself into being an audio guy. ;)

Any hints or pointers to resources for this kind of stuff appreciated! This is my first major foray into Mac Life. I have until February to be able to fly through FCS2. ;)

Also, any suggestions for "ooooh... COOL!" features I may have overlooked appreciated as well! I very well might be overlooking some of the best stuff that these programs have to offer. I have 10 days babysitting a Mac Pro Quad/Dual Monitor/Beta&MiniDV deck/etc etc machine.... I really want to make the best use of it I possibly can!

Carl
Old December 22nd, 2007, 01:42 PM   #2
Major Player

try the new steadicam thing that final cut has. It takes forever to render and you could probably do it better in after effects but eh. Also there are the new pro res codecs and what not. I came from PP2 also and I don't see too many differences in the way everything works except the fact that exporting files is a lot easier and less painful. You are still dealing with a NLE that plays around with mpegs.
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 04:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Ohh, I forgot about the steady move thing or whatever... will definitely check that out!
Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:16 PM   #4
Major Player

A Change of Direction

I thought the last part of that would spark a bit more interest... so here's a new question for yas:

What is your favorite aspect of FCS2? What do you really like about it, and think deserves more attention?

C
Old January 2nd, 2008, 02:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Carl,

I'm self taught(with a little help from my friends) onFCPS1 and the way I got my head around it (apart from jumping in the deep end) was using the Apple Pro training series of books. They come with tutorial hands one exercises that make it very easy to get to grips with the "logic" of the software and therefore easy to intuit where functions or effects ect might be.

I might be teaching you to suck eggs, but a couple of good websites for are 2-pop.com and Ken Stone ( just google the name).

Hope that is helpful for you

David
David Tindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 05:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Just a thought!

A lot of people are saying the SmoothCam feature takes ages to Render...and this is true, but it's only because even if you apply it to an edited clip on the time-line, it still analyzes your source clip in your project folder.

So you may only want SmoothCam on your 10 second clip in sequence, but if that clip comes from an hour long clip in the source folder, then you have a LONG render times.

What i do is to subclip my chosen clips to SmoothCamify, and then re-import them back into the sequence, bingo, very quick render times and controlled filters only on the clips i want.

Obviously i may be doing this compeltely wrong....but just wanted to put rest to the whole "takes ages to render' side of things.
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:54 AM   #7
Major Player

Carl,

if you want to really be an FCP guru, get into media management. It's probably the least glamourous but very important aspect.

Find a few of the bugs that you might want to avoid. Move the project media from one hard drive to another, transcoding to another format, consolidate media, create a back up in a lower res format on a portable hard drive/laptop if you have one, etc.

Also multicam is worth getting to grips with, if you have suitable footage.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite