DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 7th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #1
Major Player

FCP: Banding in HDV project fade-to-black

I'm currently finishing up work on editing a doc that's been shot in HDV, and the final shot is of a sunset, which fades to black followed by the credits. There is however, quite pronounced banding gradation during the fade (is this is due to limitations of the HDV colorspace?). Is there a better fade I can be using than the FCP cross dissolve?

Thanks
Greg
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I've had occasional weird issues with the Cross Fade and Cross Dissolve filters in FCP. Once in a while- and I can't tell what conditions cause it- these filters cause the image to fall apart. If you're using Cross Dissolve, try Cross Fade instead, or vice versa.

I've also noticed that if I've pushed HDV too much in color correction, it will do weird things during transitions.

If you figure it out, let us know!
Gabriel Chiefetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 01:14 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Gabriel, I'll try that. A colleague also had a good suggestion to use a matted blur filter which would probably also do the job if the easier solutions don't work.
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite