DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 23rd, 2003, 06:28 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

The G5 Apple and HD10

I can only wonder how editing will go with the HD10 on a new G5.

heath
Old June 23rd, 2003, 06:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Anyone know when it will be supported? I would like to know the path one needs to take to convert a clip to anamation codec to I can to comp work with it.

I had an idea with the HD10U I would love to see; put on an Anamorphic adapter on the HD10 and squeeze in more image and the results since the camera is 1:77:1 will be 2:35:1 too. Now I can't wait to see that!

Michael Pappas
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2003, 06:51 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Pappas : I had an idea with the HD10U I would love to see; put on an Anamorphic adapter on the HD10 and squeeze in more image and the results since the camera is 1:77:1 will be 2:35:1 too. Now I can't wait to see that!

Michael Pappas -->>>

Wow, that would be interesting. I want to know if we can put a 35 mm film lens on it.

heath
Old June 23rd, 2003, 06:59 PM   #4
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Pappas : Anyone know when it will be supported? I would like to know the path one needs to take to convert a clip to anamation codec to I can to comp work with it. -->>>

You can do it now in FCP 3 or 4. But why not use uncompressed with FCP 4's new 8- or 10-bit codec?

The G5 will make MPEG-2 editing even more productive.
Old June 23rd, 2003, 07:00 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

Has anyone read the specs, architecture (of the chip and system), IBM fabrication; etc. on this amazing marvel? Man, the G5 is a dream chip for Mac users and nerds alike!

http://www.apple.com/powermac/

This link goes into the architecture of the chip:

http://www.apple.com/g5/

The IBM fabrication process is really cool. "Imagine fitting over 58 million light switches into the space the size of your thumbnail to comprehend the feat accomplished by IBM scientists and fabrication wizards."

This is the HD editor's dream come true!

heath
Old June 23rd, 2003, 11:36 PM   #6
HDV Cinema

Now I know why the Apple folks I met with Friday said MPEG-2 "could be edited by FCP" sometime in the future. Decode and smooth-play should be easy on G5 DP.

They want MPEG-2 TS to be edited with no more effort than DV. They were shocked Apple had released the SVHScap because it meant cutomers would be doing JVC editing ahead of "official" Apple support.
Old June 24th, 2003, 07:22 AM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Mullen : Now I know why the Apple folks I met with Friday said MPEG-2 "could be edited by FCP" sometime in the future. Decode and smooth-play should be easy on G5 DP.

They want MPEG-2 TS to be edited with no more effort than DV. They were shocked Apple had released the SVHScap because it meant cutomers would be doing JVC editing ahead of "official" Apple support. -->>>

I'm already working towards buying the 2 ghz DP (I'm halfway there--a big chunk of my cash went the way of the HD10).

I just hope the HD10 doesn't end up like the CineLines: abandoned. Then again, it's a bit of money, but not as bad as the CineLines.

heath
Old June 24th, 2003, 11:18 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I was told buy JVC that the CineLine is still being sold. I was told that they send out around two a month. JVC is a small company. I never knew how until I was told that the division I was talking to had 45 people and their sister company Panasonic same dept has 700+. I think a smaller company is better when you want answers or help. Now in comparison, Sony is the worst for getting anything.

As to the G5. I have been sucked by the Apple vampire since the early 90's. I like the systems, but I may actually be installing Pentium 4 3+ghz systems too. The PC has come a long way. I also want to use 3dMax. My Electric Image 3d app runs better on the PC then my Mac. The one thing that is holding me in is FCP.
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 11:35 AM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Pappas : I was told buy JVC that the CineLine is still being sold. I was told that they send out around two a month. JVC is a small company. I never knew how until I was told that the division I was talking to had 45 people and their sister company Panasonic same dept has 700+. I think a smaller company is better when you want answers or help. Now in comparison, Sony is the worst for getting anything.

As to the G5. I have been sucked by the Apple vampire since the early 90's. I like the systems, but I may actually be installing Pentium 4 3+ghz systems too. The PC has come a long way. I also want to use 3dMax. My Electric Image 3d app runs better on the PC then my Mac. The one thing that is holding me in is FCP. -->>>

Sony's website sucks! Can't find anything because they link everything together (consumer, music, pro, movies, etc.).

If you're going PC, you can buy 3 identical 3 ghz machines, link them together and use Linux to turn them into a 9 ghz supercomputer! I read it in a magazine. I'll track it down for you.

heath
Old June 24th, 2003, 12:04 PM   #10
Major Player

Don't get me wrong. I would love for the G5 to be as fast as promised. That would definitely bring up the competition bar in the desktop market. But Apple is notorious for product hype and misinformation, just like what they did with G4. And we all know what a snail the G4 is compared to modern AMD and Pentiums.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 12:15 PM   #11
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Yang Wen : Don't get me wrong. I would love for the G5 to be as fast as promised. That would definitely bring up the competition bar in the desktop market. But Apple is notorious for product hype and misinformation, just like what they did with G4. And we all know what a snail the G4 is compared to modern AMD and Pentiums. -->>>

Actually, the G4 was pretty fast; AMD and Pentiums always had problems for me and the company I work for abandoned 13 dual Xeon P3s in favor for 13 G4s.

heath
Old June 24th, 2003, 12:23 PM   #12
Major Player

I think everyone knows that when it comes to pure rendering power, the G4 is behind... by a huge margin. I'm not sure if day to day operations in the MacOS GUI is noticebaly slower but that doesn't really matter. Read the review below. Again, I don't want this to be a flame war, I just want to prove that I'm correct...Like I said, I really hope the G5 is as fast as they promised

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2002/11_nov/reviews/cw_macvspciii.htm
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 01:41 PM   #13
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Yang Wen : I think everyone knows that when it comes to pure rendering power, the G4 is behind... by a huge margin. I'm not sure if day to day operations in the MacOS GUI is noticebaly slower but that doesn't really matter. Read the review below. Again, I don't want this to be a flame war, I just want to prove that I'm correct...Like I said, I really hope the G5 is as fast as they promised

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2002/11_nov/reviews/cw_macvspciii.htm -->>>

Interesting. I've seen tons of articles done like that, and they go both ways. The most interesting "battle" I saw was at cnet two years ago when they had the first OS X vs. Windows 2000. This was the edition of OS X that had little apps and didn't support an Apple DVD player. The winner was, to cnet's surprise, OS X!

Like I said, we had the fastest P3s at the time, dual Xeons, and it sucked. The software and the hardware sucked (can't say what company, since we got a full refund); we immediately went to Apple G4s without looking back.

That said, I do notice with new programs the G4 seems to drag. I believe the G5 will fix that!

This ain't no blinded PC vs. Apple debate (blinded to the facts). I hate those arguments. PCs suck/rule because they do, same with Apple. I hate arguments like that!

Good discussion, Yang!

heath
Old June 24th, 2003, 02:38 PM   #14
Major Player

Yeah, I'd hate to see this turn into a PC vs. Apple flame war. Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages. I use both platforms in my work because of this.

That said, I'm familiar with IBM's line of PowerPC processors and these new G5 Macs should deliver what Apple claims.

But also keep in mind that PCs are 64bit now too with the release of the AMD Opteron and Intel's Itanium[2] CPUs, which have been shipping for a while. Windows XP 64bit edition has been shipping for 2 months, and the AMD Opteron version of it will be available in September. Intel is still trying to push their P4 and Xeon lines for workstations, but I think that will change in the next month or two as Itanium price cuts have been promised and AMD and Apple are pushing for 64bit desktops. I think the PC world is going to really get nasty for a while as AMD and Intel duke it out for 64 bit control. There are also rumors that IBM will also revisit the PC CPU market with their own CPU. Either a PowerPC derivative (quite possibly the same CPU as they're shipping to Apple) or an entry from one of their other lines.

FWIW: I can buy a dual 1.8GHz Opteron with 8X AGP, GeForceFX 5900 video, 2GB RAM, 200GB HDD for a bit less than the dual 2GHz G5. And it includes all the same hardware bells and whistles like USB 2, Firewire, Serial ATA, PCI-X...

When it all comes down to it, PCs and Macs are virtually identical in terms of components and internal architecture. The main differences are the CPU[s] and the BIOS and the operating system.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 02:49 PM   #15
MPS Digital Studios

The only big thing I don't like about PCs is Windows. I haven't been trying Linux long enough to judge whether or not it's good, but so far, it's nice and stable. I'd like to try this free beta editing program called MainActor.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite