DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 8th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Toussaint View Post
Is making independent subclips in HDV materal an action that loses quality? I know it makes an I-frame on the editpoint, but do the original clip and the independent subclip differ in quality? Is it just a copy, or is it recompressing and so losing image q.?
I know I lose quality when I export a subclip as a movie (To the same HDV 1080p25 format as the original file) with my HDV material. Discovered this yesterday, as I suddenly got a lot of artifacts in my footage, and turns out final cut made it in the export. So, I converted all the material I needed to process to ProRes (I saved it directly to ProRes from Final Cut, maybe it's better to do it with compressor, but these were pretty small clips, and the quality seemed to be fine, at least tons better than HDV.), and now everything works fine..
Henrik Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:27 AM   #17
Major Player

Your certainly can log and capture HDV in FCP6, and I've done it on a three year old G5 iMac.

Direct capture to IAC will do what you say above.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Pank View Post
Your certainly can log and capture HDV in FCP6, and I've done it on a three year old G5 iMac.

Direct capture to IAC will do what you say above.
Log and capture works very poorly with my XHA1, I was forced to start "Capture now" and take it from there instead.

What equipment do you use if you think "Log and capture" works as well for HDV as say it used to do for DV?
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:25 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Reach View Post
What equipment do you use if you think "Log and capture" works as well for HDV as say it used to do for DV?
I don't think, I know it worked fine with a G5 iMac and a Sony Z1E, HDV native capture.

Did this once from an EDL generated by Avid. No problems at all (other than the editor didn't enter separate reel names for the half dozen tapes used.)

Did you use 24f mode on the XH A1? Compatibility with that and FCP is cranky I think (maybe it's fixed now) so maybe that's your problem.

Dylan
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:42 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
I don't think, I know it worked fine with a G5 iMac and a Sony Z1E, HDV native capture.

Did this once from an EDL generated by Avid. No problems at all (other than the editor didn't enter separate reel names for the half dozen tapes used.)

Did you use 24f mode on the XH A1? Compatibility with that and FCP is cranky I think (maybe it's fixed now) so maybe that's your problem.

Dylan
25f, maybe that's it. :) Either way, I'm fine with importing the whole thing now that I've gotten used to it, guess it's more gentle on my camera too, as I use that as my deck. (I do miss how well organized/labeled my clips were when I used DV and Log and Capture though..)
Old May 8th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck View Post
So what are the right settings for scenario c?

Audio/video settings

Timeline: HDV (or should this be Apple ProRes 422?)

Capture: HDV

User preferences

Render control, render codec: Apple ProRes 422
Can anyone confirm that these are the right settings?
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:

Dylan
Works fine for me too. 1080i50 with an XH-A1. Managed to use log and capture absolutely fine - works better than capture now IMO as when you click capture now it takes a couple of seconds to starting capturing properly, meanwhile the tape is rolling. It may be my computer (MacBook Pro 2.6Ghz, 4GB Ram) but i'm not convinced by that! I wanna get a firestore as soon as a) i can afford one! b) they seem to sort out reliability issues with the QT format, then i won't have to worry about capturing from tape and can just use it as an archive!
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #23
Major Player

Log and capture will wear out your camera tape heads a little bit faster. I think that when you capture the whole tape and create subclips, it will be easier on your camera tape heads and maybe a bit faster. But when you have multiple items on one tape, log and capture is the way to go. I have a Canon XL-H1 and have looked at the firestore but I am not sure how reliable it is. I have read many complaints about failing harddisks inside it and also about the timecode on the firestore being different from the timecode on tape. Those things can make things very complicated. Maybe the new model fixes all of this.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite