Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 21st, 2008, 03:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

combining projects

Hi Guys

I'm in a mix up over how to consolidate 3 different projects together.

The first consisted of hdv footage captured under an easy setup of HDV-AIC 1080i50. Its now sitting as a sequence of edited and transitioned clips in the timeline. (i notice that if i click on the sequence in the browser the frame size is given as 1440 x 1080, compressor aic and it has upper field dominance and pixel aspect of 'HD1440x1080')

The second is footage i assume was shot SD 16:9, supplied to me as dvcam on tape and ive captured it in a new project with easy setup of dv-pal anamorphic...and it looks proportionally correct to my eye. (the browser shows frame size as 720 x 576, compressor dv-pal, lower field dominance, and pixel aspect of 'PAL-CCIR 601'

The third is footage shot SD 16:9, captured in easy setup dv -pal anamorphic...looks right to my eye. (the browser shows frame size 1440 x 1080, compressor aic, upper field, pixel aspect 'HD1440x1080')

What i need is to get both these things together in one sequence so i can add some titles and transition it all together, then output for plasma screen playback at standard definition.

I'd be grateful for any clues? I've never before dealt with bringing different projects together let alone ones with different settings.

Many thanks.
Michael Donne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:50 PM   #2
Major Player

What version of Final Cut are you running? It will determine your workflow.
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 04:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

ah..the lowly fce hd 3.5 !
Michael Donne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:05 AM   #4
Inner Circle

In Final Cut 6 (Final Cut Studio 2) you can put them all together on a timeline and then render out to 1 format.

I think now you should render everything seperately to one format, and then bring it into the same timeline.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 06:28 AM   #5
Major Player

Micheal,

It's a slow way, but try using MPEG streamclip to batch convert all your HDV files to pal SD 16:9 or vice versa. You can convert them to .dv streams which may import into FCE 3.5 better.

I don't understand this:
Quote:
The third is footage shot SD 16:9, captured in easy setup dv -pal anamorphic...looks right to my eye. (the browser shows frame size 1440 x 1080, compressor aic, upper field, pixel aspect 'HD1440x1080')
if it's SD DV, why is it showing HDV-AIC codec and proportions?
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Dylan i know what you mean about that third set of footage settings not making sense.

Anyway, I seem to have successfully exported the first and third sequences straight to quicktime , then imported the resulting files into the second project, and despite them still being quoted in the browser as differing frame sizes etc, it plays right.

Subsequent export to quicktime and onto idvd also seems to have resulted in consistency across the footage...the only problem being that the dvd plays at 4:3 until i use my tv remote to override it. For my purposes thats not ideal but not the end of the world either.

Thanks guys for your input.
Michael Donne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite