DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 28th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #1
Major Player

Question on Compressor

Dose anyone know how to reinstall compressor by it self with out having to install the whole final cut studio package. Thanks in advance Gary Williams
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #2
Major Player

I think if you put in the first FCS disc and start the install program, it'll ask you which programs you want to install, so you'd just uncheck all the boxes except for Compressor.

I'm not certain of this though.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Depending on which version of Compressor you are using, Apple has documents available on their support site for this exact procedure. You do need to delete the old files (which live in several different locations) prior to doing the re-install, so follow the instructions carefully.

This applies to Compressor version 3; if you have an older version I'm not sure if those same instructions will apply.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #4
Major Player

I had problems reinstalling ONLY compressor from the install disc (it wanted to reinstall everything and would not let me 'uncheck' them), so I used the shareware 'Pacifist' program to do so, and also to analyze and crosscheck files after to make sure the install was 100% successful (it wasn't: the HDV codecs were missing, amongst some other things, so I just used pacifist to install the specific missing elements).
Very handy program!
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk View Post
I had problems reinstalling ONLY compressor from the install disc (it wanted to reinstall everything and would not let me 'uncheck' them), so I used the shareware 'Pacifist' program to do so, and also to analyze and crosscheck files after to make sure the install was 100% successful (it wasn't: the HDV codecs were missing, amongst some other things, so I just used pacifist to install the specific missing elements).
Very handy program!
I have the newest version FCS 6.0.2 I did remove the file as stated in the post before yours and when I went to install just like you state it wont let me reinstall just compressor and motion it has everything checked in a faded gray check so I cant uncheck them but it also showed install on only compressor and motion and update on most of the other stuff and it said I will need 9 gig of space to install so I am hoping even though it is prompting me to put in all the discs its not actually installing everything again do to the fact that the whole application is allot more than 9 gigs. so I guess I will find out here soon enough, keeping my fingures crossed.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #6
Major Player

I also went ahead with the uninstall/re-install as per instructions from Apple, but it never got Compressor running properly... (FCP Studio 2, iMac intel core 2 duo). Much grief with Compressor!!!
Pacifist was the only solution that worked and showed me exactly which files were missing, and installed them only. The other way seemed like flying blind..
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

FWIW, I've gone through the same thing. Pacifist was the only solution that worked for me.
Mike Flynn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite