Burning to external burner with DVDSP4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 29th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Burning to external burner with DVDSP4

I damaged the case on my MBP and its not physically possible to insert a disc to the internal burner. I've tried it on a fairly anceint external Lacie, but DVDSP keeps telling me to insert recordable media which already has been. I am able to play back on this unit on my MBP and also burn on my anceint G4 so I know there's nothing wrong with it.

Am what I'm trying to do possible and if so, how?

Thanks
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase Tanner View Post
Am what I'm trying to do possible and if so, how?
When you insert the blank media, does Finder ask you what you want to do? For example, when i insert a blank DVD into my external Lacie DVD burner, I get the Finder dialogue saying "You inserted a blank DVD. Choose an action from the pop-up menu or click Ignore." and has a pulldown menu with different apps to open (Finder, iDVD, iTunes, Disk Utility, and Open other application...). If you do get this, select "Open other application…" and then select DVDSP.

If you are NOT getting this prompt, open System Prefs and go to CDs & DVDs, and make sure that "When you insert a blank DVD:" is set to "Ask what to do"
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Major Player

I am getting the prompt. The first time I already had DVDSP open so I selected the finder. When that didn't work, I closed DVDSP, reinserted the DVD and when prompted, selected DVDSP. Same result.

So in other words, the MBP is recognizing both the burner and the dvd, but DVDSP is not.
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #4
Major Player

This is actually a flaw in the design of DVDSP. What you have to do is instead of clicking on "burn", you have to click on "build and format", and it will give you a bunch of advanced options. If I remember correctly, it has a drop down menu giving you the option of which ever burner you want to use on your computer, or to make a disk image. Anyway, you can just choose your external burner and everything should be fine.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #5
Major Player

Chris

Thanks for that. Actually I managed to find that very answer on another forum though I found I still could not burn it directly. I had to save it to disc and then use disk utility to do the burn.
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite