23" ACD dual set-up. Potential issue with buttons location! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 2nd, 2008, 09:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

23" ACD dual set-up. Potential issue with buttons location!

Hey guys,

I'm planning on getting a new Mac Pro. Thinking of buying 2 23"ACDs for a dual monitor set-up. I was looking at the specification of the monitor and I noticed that the On/Off and other monitor control buttons are located on the right side of the panel. If I were to have 2 of these side by side, won't the left side monitor's control will be blocked by the other one assuming that I'm going to place them touching each other. I also hear that these buttons are very sensitive. Can anyone with this set-up explain how this could be avoided? Thanks for your help.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Ram...............

I'm not personally aquainted with the units you've mentioned so cannot comment specifically, but would put forward this for consideration.......

My Dell 24" sits on my desk 24/7, month after month, and after it's initial setup, doesn't get touched, ever, except for the occasional go over with a vacuum cleaner.

The power switch is never thrown (that's what "standby" is for) and none of the other controls need to be accessed because it's already set up.

In the unlikely event I need access to one of the card slots in the side, I simply push/ pull one edge and it rotates on it's stand (which is what it's for) to allow access.

Quite why you would need constant access to the controls thus has me somewhat perplexed - if you're adjusting colour/ brightness or other parameters on your screen(s) due to differences in your footage, perhaps you need to review your work practices.

As for "sensitive" controls, well, a delicate touch never goes amiss.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:46 AM   #3
Major Player

spot on, Chris
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris...

That's what I figured, but just wanted to confirm before I invest in couple of these badboys... My biggest concern was the sensitive buttons that might cause some issue when two of them put together side by side....

Thanks for your help.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 02:32 PM   #5
Major Player

The buttons are touch sensitive, like the old iPod controls. Unless the thing touching the buttons is made of human skin, nothing should happen. The buttons are also countersunk in the plastic to avoid accidental activation.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 02:47 PM   #6
Major Player

As far as ergonomics goes, I don't think you'd want to put them flush side by side as that seems like it would be uncomfortable to use after not too long. Every time I've worked w/the two monitors (including the 23" ACDs) I've always had at least one of them angled towards me.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite