DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 6th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

best capture setting for FCP 6

Recently switched from PC to Macbook Pro (with 2.6 ghz processor) with Hi-Res screen.

My captured video isn't as sharp as the .avi files that I captured through Premiere Pro.

I notice under audio and video settings, there are some capture settings, like 10 bit uncompressed or 8 bit uncompressed. Tried them both, but still not as sharp as I would like, and I have a hi-res screen.

I want to capture the absolute best SD video, which was shot on a miniDV tape with a Canon XL2. I am using a Canon ZR 65 to capture (which I don't think should matter, it never did with Premiere).

What are the best settings to do this.

Thanks.

Alfred Diaz
Alfred Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #2
Major Player

DV is DV. Yer can't get any better than what's on the tape. Where are the viewing the footage? The image showed in FCP is just a proxy of the actual footage and shouldn't be used critically judge what it looks like. If you are looking at the source QT file do you have the "high quality" check box select? Also, the better your display the worse DV is going to look because the flaws in the image will be more obvious. The only accurate way to know what's going on w/your footage is to check it out on an broadcast monitor.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Andrew,

Yes. I was viewing the source files through QT. I realize that I can't get any higher quality than the tape. It's just that there are a lot of settings. Obviously if FCP is offering all these capture settings, there must be some that are better than others.

It seems to me that I should be capturing some type of uncompressed file when I capture off a tape and use that to edit. Then when I make my movie, I should do the compression as needed. This is how I always did it before in Premiere.

Also, where do you set the hi-quality check box in QT. I don't see it on my screen when I open QT and open a movie.

Thanks.
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Andrew,

Just figured how to check the high quality box with this web site:http://www.fcpworld.com/news/D4363B6...E93AE4C92.html

Strange thing happened. I was viewing some video of a hot air balloon being filled with flames and taking off. In regular viewing everything looked a little fuzzy. But when I checked the high quality box, the picture was a lot sharper and better, except for the flames. You could see horizontal lines in them. Overall, I am happier with the picture with the high-quality box checked, except for those flames.

I am still curious as to what are the best setting for capturing DV? Compressor or no compressor? If no compressor, 10 bit or 8 bit. If compressor, which one? and what about all those other settings?

Thank you.

Alfred
Old February 7th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #5
Major Player

The horizontal lines you are seeing in the flames is most likely interlacing that is noticeable because you are viewing interlaced footage on your progressive computer display. If you played the footage back in FCP and looked at it on on a TV/b'cast monitor I'm almost positive you wouldn't see the lines any more.

DV is compressed 5:1 when it's recorded to tape and if you capture via FW that's an exact digital copy of what's on the tape. If you choose the DV-NTSC (or DV NTSC anamorphic if you shot 16x9) Easy Setup you will be good to go.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #6
Major Player

I have to mention that on my powerbook the Quicktime videos from final cut look perfect. BUT at work I have a new imac, when I view the same quicktime it looks worse than garbage. If I export it to an H264, it is perfect again.
The point is that you can't trust QT or FCP at all! Look at your footage on a monitor or export it as h264 -and check de-interlace. It's the final that matters.
The only quality settings you really need to watch are in the RT drop down on your timeline, check safe and dynamic there.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Aric,

Thank you for being specific about one of the setting options. I have not been using H264. The uncompressed seemed the most logical to use. (And yes, I realize it is not truly uncompressed, but why would I want to compress anymore). But I will try H264. Though I am feeling a lot better once I learned how to turn on the high quality tab.

The fact is, there are a lot of pull down tabs and setting options in the Capture settings for FCP. To be honest, it's intimidating. And frustrating. I don't think the defaults (or easy setup) are necessarily the best. For example, H264 is not the default setting on my Mac when I capture.

So I am just wondering what else needs to be looked at to make sure it is set properly?

It makes sense, before we capture, what are the best settings.

Please send your suggestions, if you have them.

Thanks guys.

Alfred
Alfred Diaz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite