DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 13th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #16
Tourist

Lumiere & Canon XL HD1 - HDV

I understand that there is a problem (very slow) in editing HD1 footage in FCP.
Lumiere say that they now support the Canon XL HD1 but are unable to output direct back to the camera. Surely is not the output code the same as the Sony Z1 1080i?
I would like to migrate to FCP but not if there is a problem with the HD1 footage.

Any ideas folks?

Ray
Ray Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:38 AM   #17
New Boot

bad experiences with Lumiere

I had very bad experiences with Lumiere HD. In stead you better use DVHS-cap and MPEG Streamclip (both free available).
Testeing befor changing your workflow is strongly advised.
Han Savelkoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #18
Trustee

What seq. preset for Canon 24F/30F HDV?

How are you guys editing the 24/30f footage in FCP 5.1?
What sequence presets or are you treating it as normal 1080i60?

(Camera: Canon XH A1)
Thank guys.
Old November 8th, 2006, 02:14 AM   #19
Major Player

FCP 5.1.2 has presets for the Canon 24F setting...
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 05:57 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Ross
FCP 5.1.2 has presets for the Canon 24F setting...
And to add to that, the 24f preset can be adjusted to 30f and saved as a custom Easy Setup.
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:36 AM   #21
Trustee

Perfect- thanks for that info- good to know.
Old November 11th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #22
Trustee

Dave- I've duplicated the 24F seq preset but I can't make a Quicktime Compressor setting that matches for the sequence in FCP 5.1- so the video frame doesn't match......oddly enough I'm using a standard 1080i60 seq preset and I can edit w/o problem but I'm guessing this is NOT the ideal setup....FCP gives the option for 24F but not 30F- how are you guys editing the 30f stuff?
Old November 18th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #23
Regular Crew

FCP 5 and Canon XL H1

I am using FCP 5.04 (waiting for my crossgrade from Apple) and am starting a new project that was shot on Canon XL H1s at 24F. Will my current software support this camera? If not, is there something I can download that will help? Do I just need to wait for my crossgrade (this is what I've heard)?

Thanks.
Old November 18th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #24
Wrangler

Just gonna have to wait.

MPEGSTREAMCLIP can get things working, but the path takes lots of transcoding time and recompresses your material. If you can wait, do it.
Old November 18th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #25
Major Player

However, if you DO choose to go via MPEG Streamclip, you can transcode it into DVCProHD and make life easier for yourself while editing by avaoiding HDV altogether - although you will then have large files (about 1 gig per minute).

I recently did this with a low budget feature shot XLH1 at 24f and it looks terrific. I used the SDI port on the Canon and went into a Blackmagic card.

If you want to take this further I will send you my workflow, or you can look it up in one of my posts of a few months ago.

Best wishes,

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #26
Major Player

Canon XH-A1 24f to SD-DVD questions...

Has anyone noticed a stobe-like or almost studdering look when viewing 1080 24f footage that is moving, especially when viewing on a SD-DVD with the A1? It's almost annoying- like I have chosen the wrong frame rate out of the timeline. When exporting 24f footage from FCP to QT for DVD Studio Pro, should I keep the frame rate 24, 23.98, or 29.97? And when I plan on exporting 60i footage from a 1080i60 timeline, what is the ideal frame rate to export for SD-DVD? Maybe this is an inhearent trait of 24f, but I just want to make sure I have my settings correct.

note: I had NR1 selected in the custom preset of the camera. I don't see ghosting, but do you think NR1 could be partially responsible for this stobe-like studder effect?
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #27
Wrangler

Do you mean a stutter during pans and tilts, or with a fixed frame but the subject moving a lot within the frame? Is it in the original clip, or only in rendered files?

I ask those questions because one possible explanation is panning with image stabilization on. I did that with the XH A1 recently and was surprised after I captured the footage how much a hand-held pan stuttered due to the image stabilization, the same as if I was panning on a tripod. Not a fault of the camera, as the image stabilization was doing what it was meant to do, but a reminder that it isn't really best to do steady pans and tilts using image stab.

Don't know if that explains your problem, but thought it was worth a shot.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #28
Major Player

It's a studder during pans and tilts and on the original tape and on the timeline.
Maybe it is the image stabilizer??? It's almost like a jumpiness every 1/2 second or so.

I'll try pans and tilts w/o IS on.

thanks pete
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:17 AM   #29
Major Player

Canon 24f workflow question

I have a client, an agency, that has actually asked for a 24p look for a commercial... My plan is to shoot 24f HDV and edit in the FCP 24p timeline (in order to have a HD version available for possible future use) - no problem with that, I've done it with success and exported mpeg_2 files for DVD using Compressor... (But I have not played with 24f all that much).

This project, however, needs to be delivered in BetaSP for local television stations. The post house where I have my dubs made does not have the ability to play a 24f HDV tape, so I will need to output SD to DVCAM.

I know I can copy the edit and paste it in to a 60i SD timeline in order to add the pulldown, then redo the graphics, and Print to Video...

Is there a better workflow option (FCP) to output a 24p project?
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:09 AM   #30
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from XL H1 to FCP.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite