Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 23rd, 2008, 10:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Bootcamp not recognizing ram in windows

Hi everyone and thanks for reading.

I have just migrated to a 2.8 Mac Pro 8 core with 6 gigs of ram...I installed Windows XP pro SP2 on a 32 Gb Fat partition on my primary drive using bootcamp. I had difficulty installing Windows when trying to format the partition with a NFTS. It would not read my windows install disk if using NFTS. (weird)

I have XP up and running now but it only sees 2 gigs of ram....I understand that a limitation of XP is that it can only read 3 gigs but where is this other gig.

I am currently using Sony Vegas 8 and the extra gig would probably not make a huge difference, but every little bit helps.

I migrated away from core2 quad Pc with 3 gigs of ram to the Mac and I was rendering a small project in Vegas for a client last night and the Mac seems to render significantly faster than my PC did, even without the ram not being recognized....The power of the processors seems obvious.

Its not a huge deal, just wondering if anyone has seen this.

Is anyone using Sony Vegas with something like Parallels, Fusion.

Thanks
Lou
Lou Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 12:31 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Trottier View Post

I have just migrated to a 2.8 Mac Pro 8 core with 6 gigs of ram...I installed Windows XP pro SP2 on a 32 Gb Fat partition on my primary drive using bootcamp. I had difficulty installing Windows when trying to format the partition with a NFTS. It would not read my windows install disk if using NFTS. (weird)

I have XP up and running now but it only sees 2 gigs of ram....I understand that a limitation of XP is that it can only read 3 gigs but where is this other gig.

I am currently using Sony Vegas 8 and the extra gig would probably not make a huge difference, but every little bit helps.

I migrated away from core2 quad Pc with 3 gigs of ram to the Mac and I was rendering a small project in Vegas for a client last night and the Mac seems to render significantly faster than my PC did, even without the ram not being recognized....The power of the processors seems obvious.

Its not a huge deal, just wondering if anyone has seen this.

Thanks
Lou
Actually the limitation is in fact 2 gigs. You can use the /3gb switch in the boot config but system resources will take most of that extra gig anyway, and when I used the switch it caused a host of stability problems in my system.

You can google "3gb switch" and read about it, as it's often misunderstood as to exactly what it does.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter View Post
You can google "3gb switch" and read about it, as it's often misunderstood as to exactly what it does.
Thanks a bunch, makes sense. Does switching to Vista offer any advantages?

Lou
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Thanks a bunch, makes sense. Does switching to Vista offer any advantages?

Lou
NO with a capital N and O! Vista is more buggy than XP, I've found, and the general consensus is that it's a disaster in it's current state and should be avoided until the kinks are worked out. Surely with all this consumer-friendly bloatware and hyper-sensitive security stuff installed it's a bugger to edit on. My recommendation is XP64. I've been pleasantly surprised by it; it uses all my 4 GBs, Premiere Pro runs very smoothly and I've had the least amount of crashes while using it (2 to 3 versus 10-20 easily using regular XP home/professional).
Old February 24th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the insight Ben,

are you working primarily on a Mac or a PC?

Lou
Old February 24th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #6
Regular Crew

For some reason, Bootcamp limits Windows to seeing only 2gb. Windows is able to see up to 4 gigs, depending on the hardware setup. (My Dell system sees 3 gigs of RAM)
Yossi Margolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #7
Tourist

parallels and vegas

Quote:

Thanks
Lou
I have used Vegas via Parallels. Worked reasonably well, I just go tired of keeping parallels and bootcamp in sync. Decided it was easier to just reboot, and use macdrive to move files back and forth as needed
Bill Bradley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite